In October 2022, Stewart et al. published a communication in this journal on female participation at Plastic Surgery The Meeting in the years 2015–2020.
1They discovered that female participation increased significantly during this interval (p < .001), however females were considerably less likely to hold prominent positions in conference leadership. We sought to further the work of Stewart et al. by describing the gender distribution in awards granted by major plastic surgery societies in the United States.
- Stewart S.J.
- Jabori S.K.
- Pandya S.
- et al.
Trends in female representation at plastic surgery meetings: A move toward gender equity at the podium.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2022; S1748–6815
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trends in female representation at plastic surgery meetings: A move toward gender equity at the podium.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2022; S1748–6815
- Gender bias in the integrated plastic surgery residency: a snapshot of current trends.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2020; 8e2581
American Association of Medical Colleges. 2020 physician specialty data report. 〈https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/workforce/interactive-data/active-physicians-sex-and-specialty-2017〉. [Accessibility verified 10 December 2022].
- Report on the representation of women in academic plastic surgery leadership.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2020; 145: 844-852
- Gender representation in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery recognition awards.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021; 164: 1200-1207
- Gender of award recipients in major ophthalmology societies.Am J Ophthal. 2021; 231: 120-133
Published online: February 03, 2023
Accepted: January 29, 2023
Received: January 20, 2023
© 2023 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Trends in Female Representation at Plastic Surgery Meetings: A Move Toward Gender Equity at the PodiumJournal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic SurgeryVol. 76
- PreviewAnecdotally, female plastic surgeons are disproportionately underrepresented as speakers, moderators, and panelists at national and regional plastic surgery meetings. No studies have attempted to quantify female representation at Plastic Surgery The Meeting (PSTM). The objective of our study is to examine trends in female participation at PSTM. Names of participating plastic surgeons and their conference positions were obtained from PSTM meeting programs between 2015-2020. Conference positions included instructor, lead, lecturer, moderator, panelist, or other.