Mammalian bites account for 1% of all Emergency Department (ED) visits in the United Kingdom, with infection rates varying from 2% to 20%.
- Goldstein E.J.
Bite wounds and infection.
Clin Infect Dis. 1992; 14: 633-640
2Mammalian bites on the hand, where tendons and joints are more superficial, are more prone to infection and should be considered separately.
- Callaham M.
Controversies in antibiotic choices for bite wounds.
Ann Emerg Med. 1988; 17: 1321-1329
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Bite wounds and infection.Clin Infect Dis. 1992; 14: 633-640
- Controversies in antibiotic choices for bite wounds.Ann Emerg Med. 1988; 17: 1321-1329
- Barking up the wrong tree? A survey of dog bite wound management.Emerg Med J. 2003; 20: 253-255
- Successful treatment protocol for canine fang injuries.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 1980; 20: 243-247
- Surgical delay in the management of dog bite injuries in children, does it increase the risk of infection?.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006; 59: 80-85
- A prospective evaluation of risk factors for infections from dog-bite wounds.Acad Emerg Med. 1994; 1: 258-266
- Treatment of common dog bites: infection risk factors.JACEP. 1978; 7: 83-87
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.Br Med J. 2011; 343: d5928
- Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departments.JAMA. 1998; 279: 51-53
- Retrospective review of dog bite injuries in children presenting to a South Australian tertiary children's hospital emergency department.J Paediatr Child Health. 2014; 50: 791-794
Published online: January 14, 2019
Accepted: January 6, 2019
Received: January 1, 2019
© 2019 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.