The vast majority of malignant melanomas occur in the skin. These are associated with sunlight exposure and thought to be due to ultraviolet radiation.
Melanomas in rare instances (1.3–1.4 percent) may originate from extracutaneous tissues such as the leptomeninges.
1They have also been reported arising from gastrointestinal, respiratory and genitourinary mucosa. Sunlight is not an aetiologic factor with mucosal melanomas.
- Seetharamu N.
- Ott P.A.
- Pavlick A.C.
Mucosal melanomas: a case-based review of the literature.
Oncologist. 2010; 15 (Epub 2010/06/24): 772-781
Herein, we report an extremely rare example of malignant melanoma arising from the mucocutaneous junction of an ileostomy. Only one such case has been reported in the literature.
- Warrier S.K.
- Suhardja T.S.
- Kumar B.
- Hastie I.
Stomal melanoma – myth or reality?.
Int J Colorectal Dis. 2011; 26 (Epub 2010/07/20): 391-392
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Mucosal melanomas: a case-based review of the literature.Oncologist. 2010; 15 (Epub 2010/06/24): 772-781
- Stomal melanoma – myth or reality?.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2011; 26 (Epub 2010/07/20): 391-392
- Adenocarcinoma developing at an ileostomy: report of a case and review of the literature.Dis Colon Rectum. 2008; 51 (Epub 2008/02/29): 604-609
- Ileostomy carcinomas a review: the latent risk after colectomy for ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis.Colorectal Dis. 2005; 7 (Epub 2005/10/20): 538-544
Published online: October 10, 2012
Accepted: September 10, 2012
Received: April 26, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.