We present a case of a cervical chordoma extending from C3 to C6, treated by surgical resection followed by reconstruction in two stages with a vascularised fibular strut graft anteriorly and fibular allografts posteriorly. The goal was to achieve a stable reconstruction without any metal hardware to allow for increased accuracy of the adjuvant radiotherapy. The advantages of a vascularised fibula flap to realise this are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Upper cervical spine chordoma of C2–C3.Eur Spine J. 2009; 18: 293-300
- Complex cervical spine neoplastic disease: reconstruction after surgery by using a vascularized fibular strut graft. Case report.J Neurosurg. 1999; 90: 133-137
- Multilevel anterior cervical corpectomy and fibular fusion for cervical myelopathy.J Neurosurg. 1997; 86: 990-997
- Biomechanical comparison of cervical spine reconstructive techniques after a multilevel corpectomy of the cervical spine.Spine. 2003; 28: 2352-2358
- Successful outcome of six-level cervicothoracic corpectomy and circumferential reconstruction: case report and review of literature on multilevel cervicothoracic corpectomy.Eur Spine J. 2006; 15: S670-S674
- Fusion rates in multilevel cervical sponylosis comparing allograft fibula with autograft fibula in 126 patients.Spine. 1991; 16: S561-S564
- Ventral cervical fusion at multiple levels using free vascularized double-islanded fibula – a technical report and review of the relevant literature.Eur Spine J. 2002; 11: 176-182
- Vascularized fibular graft to replace resected cervical vertebral bodies. Case report.J Neurosurg. 1989; 71: 283-286
- Biomechanical effects of anterior, posterior, and combined anterior–posterior instrumentation techniques on the stability of a multilevel cervical corpectomy construct: a finite element model analysis.Spine J. 2011; 11: 324-330
- Indications and rationale for use of vascularized fibula bone flaps in cervical spine arthrodeses.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 116: 1-7
- The use of free vascularized bone grafts in spinal reconstruction.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010; 63: 516-523
Published online: October 08, 2012
Accepted: September 10, 2012
Received: March 14, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.