We report the case of a 44 year old lady with bilateral cosmetic silicone breast implants who had previously undergone a change of her right implant following extracapsular rupture. She presented 4 years later with a new lump in her right breast and underwent subcutaneous mastectomy for a grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma. Sentinel lymph node biopsy demonstrated axillary silicone lymphadenopathy but nil evidence of metastatic disease. We present this as the first described case of successful sentinel lymph node biopsy in the context of prior augmentation mammaplasty and ipsilateral implant rupture with silicone lymphadenopathy.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Breast cancer following augmentation mammoplasty – a review of its impact on prognosis and management.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2007; 60: 1127-1135
- Contra-indications to sentinel lymph node biopsy: are there any really?.World J Surg Oncol. 2007; 5: 10
- Axillary silicone lymphadenopathy presenting with a lump and altered sensation in the breast: a case report.J Med Case Rep. 2009; 10: 6442
- American society of clinical oncology guideline recommendations for sentinel lymph node biopsy in early stage breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7703-7720
- Breast-conserving therapy and sentinel lymph node biopsy are feasible in cancer patients with previous implant breast augmentation.Am J Surg. 2004; 188: 122-125
- Implications of transaxillary breast augmentation: lifetime probability for the development of breast cancer and sentinel node mapping interference.Aesthet Plast Surg. 2007; 31: 320-321
- Breast cancer in patients with prior augmentation: presentation, stage, and lymphatic mapping.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 114: 1737-1742
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer patients with previous breast augmentation surgery.Breast Cancer. 2011; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-011-0280-7
- Silicone lymphadenopathy in a patient with a mammary prosthesis. Fine needle aspiration cytology, histology and analytical electron microscopy.Acta Cytol. 1990; 34: 10-14
- Monitoring the axilla in patients with silicone gel implants.Ann Plast Surg. 1995; 35: 580-584
Published online: October 08, 2012
Accepted: September 10, 2012
Received: March 12, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.