Incision biopsy has an important role in not only the diagnosis of skin lesions, but also in facilitating the correct choice of subsequent management.
1Current British Association of Dermatologists' (BAD) guidelines recommend incision biopsy when clinical doubt exists about a lesion, and if histology will influence further management or prognosis.
- An K.P.
- Ratner D.
Surgical management of cutaneous malignancies.
Clin Dermatol. 2001; 19: 305-320
- Telfer N.R.
- Colver G.B.
- Morton C.A.
Guidelines for the management of basal cell carcinoma.
B J Dermatol. 2008; 159: 35-48
3Guidelines also recommended incision biopsy for those lesions >3 cm on the body or >2 cm on the face, which may be difficult to close or require reconstruction.
- Motley R.J.
- Preston P.W.
- Lawrence C.M.
Multi-professional guidelines for the management of the patient with primary cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.
B J Dermatol. 2002; 146: 18-25
- Semer N.B.
Skin cancer. Practical plastics for nonsurgeons.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical management of cutaneous malignancies.Clin Dermatol. 2001; 19: 305-320
- Guidelines for the management of basal cell carcinoma.B J Dermatol. 2008; 159: 35-48
- Multi-professional guidelines for the management of the patient with primary cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma.B J Dermatol. 2002; 146: 18-25
- Skin cancer. Practical plastics for nonsurgeons.iUniverse, Lincoln2007 (p. 226–8)
- Problems and complications.in: Berger M. Local flaps in head and neck reconstruction. 2nd ed. Quality Medical Publishing, Inc, St. Louis, Missouri2007: 569-579
Published online: September 21, 2012
Received: June 3, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.