There is no universally accepted treatment regimen for Keloid scars.
1A few reports in the literature have reported benefits with pressure therapy, intralesional steroid injections, laser therapy, radiation therapy or a last resort of intralesional scar excision.
- Leventhal D.
- Furr M.
- Reiter D.
Treatment of keloids and hypertrophic scars. A meta-analysis and review of the literature.
Arch Fac Plast Surg. 2006; 8: 362-368
2Intralesional injection of Botulinum Toxin Type A in to the treatment resistant keloid is a less famous treatment method that has been successfully reported in the literature.
- Wolfram D.
- Tzankov A.
- Pulzi P.
- Piza-Katzer H.
Hypertrophic scars and keloids – a review if their pathophysiology, risk factors and therapeutic management.
Dermatol Surg. 2009; 35: 171-181
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Treatment of keloids and hypertrophic scars. A meta-analysis and review of the literature.Arch Fac Plast Surg. 2006; 8: 362-368
- Hypertrophic scars and keloids – a review if their pathophysiology, risk factors and therapeutic management.Dermatol Surg. 2009; 35: 171-181
- Botulinum Toxin Type A affects cell cycle distribution of fibroblasts derived from hypertrophic scar.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008; 61: 1128-1129
- Intralesional Botulinum Toxin Type A injection as a new treatment measure for keloids.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 124: e275-e277
- Treatment of a painful keloid with Botulinum Toxin Type A.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2010; 89: 153-155
Published online: October 22, 2012
© 2012 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.