Fordyce spots are ectopic sebaceous glands, ranging between 2 and 3 mm in diameter. These benign lesions are most frequently located in the oral mucosa and the genital skin. Especially in the male genital region they can cause itching, discomfort during sexual activities and are aesthetically unpleasant. So far, a variety of therapeutic procedures have been reported with varying success and recurrence rates.
In the present retrospective study (n = 23 patients between 2003 and 2011), we present our surgical approach by means of the micro-punch technique. Using this effective method, we achieved very satisfactory functional and cosmetic results. There were no signs of recurrence during postoperative observations from 12 up to 84 months (median = 51.3 months).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A peculiar affection of the mucous membrane of the lips and oral cavity.J Cutan Dis. 1896; : 413-419
- Fordyce spots with esophageal localization.Ann Dermatol Venereol. 1992; 119: 576
- Fordyce spots on the glans penis.Br J Dermatol. 1995; 133: 498-500
- Angioma of the scrotum (Fordyce lesion).Arch Intern Med. 1962; 110: 520-522
- Angiokeratoma of Fordyce as a cause of red scrotum.Cutis. 2002; 69: 50-51
- Treatment of angiokeratoma of Fordyce with long-pulse neodymium-doped yttrium aluminium garnet laser.Dermatol Surg. 2009; 35: 92-97
- Treatment of Fordyce spots with 5-aminolaevulinic acid-photodynamic therapy.Br J Dermatol. 2007; 156: 399-400
- Treatment of angiokeratoma of Fordyce with pulsed dye laser.Dermatol Surg. 2006; 32: 1147-1150
- Treatment of Fordyce spots with CO2 laser.Dermatol Surg. 2003; 29: 869-871
- Treatment of Fordyce spots with bichloracetic acid.Dermatol Surg. 2008; 34 (discussion 99): 397-399
- Rare case of recurrent angiokeratoma of Fordyce on penile shaft.Urology. 2006; 68: e1-e3
Fordyce Spots Support Forum. http://www.fordycespotsforum.com.
- Treatment of traumatic facial tattoos caused by black gunpowder.Injury. 1993; 24: 227-230
Published online: October 01, 2012
Accepted: August 28, 2012
Received: February 7, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.