Whilst piercing and body modification can by no means be considered a modern trend, anecdotally over the past decade western society has seen an increase in the practice of ear gauging for fashion purposes. This fashion trend involves a piercing of the earlobe being gradually expanded over a period of years by insertion of graduated rings resulting in what can also be known as “flesh-holes”, “flesh tunnels” or “fleshies”.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical correction of the expa-nded earlobe after ear gauging.Aest Plast Surg. 2010; 34: 632-633
- Complications of ear rings.J Plast Reconstruct Aesthet Surg. 2012; 65: 747-751
- Earlobe reconstruction following plug and tunnel piercings.J Plast Reconstruct Aesthet Surg. 2010; 63: e294-e295
Published online: September 17, 2012
© 2012 Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.