Skin flap transfer has become a major treatment option for soft tissue defect coverage, but has a potential risk of necrosis due to compromised circulation of the flap. Preoperative investigation of vascular anatomy of flaps is important for safer flap elevation and transfer, and postoperative flap monitoring is also essential to detect abnormal circulation of the transferred flap for salvage of the flap. Flap color, capillary refill, and pin-pricking are basic and simple monitoring methods, but each requires clinical experience and knowledge to evaluate the flap condition appropriately.
1Doppler ultrasonography is a clinically useful monitoring method, but has disadvantages of high cost and risk of dislocation of the device when implanted.
- Clayton B.J.
- Waller A.L.
The TRAM flap in breast reconstruction.
Plast Surg Nurs. 1996; 16: 133-138
2It is ideal for flap monitoring to be easy, low cost, objective, noninvasive, and readily available.
- Bedri M.I.
- Chang B.W.
Use of the implantable Doppler in free tissue breast reconstruction.
Clin Plast Surg. 2011; 38: 309-312
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The TRAM flap in breast reconstruction.Plast Surg Nurs. 1996; 16: 133-138
- Use of the implantable Doppler in free tissue breast reconstruction.Clin Plast Surg. 2011; 38: 309-312
- Correlation of infrared thermography and skin perfusion in Raynaud patients and in healthy controls.Microvasc Res. 2010; 80: 54-57
- New thoracodorsal artery perforator (TAPcp) flap with capillary perforators for reconstruction of upper limb.J Plast Reconstr Aesthes Surg. 2010; 63: 140-145
Published online: August 06, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.