This case report shows a new technique for inserting superficial musculoaponeurotic system (SMAS) tissue as autologous filling of deep nasolabial folds during an SMAS or minimal access cranial suspension (MACS) facelift procedure with satisfying aesthetic results. The technique avoids visible scars on the cheek and does not require insertion through a potential contaminated area such as nasal mucosa.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Advances and controversies in face lift surgery.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2003; 14: 253-259
- Is there an ideal facelift procedure?.Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 15: 244-252
- The purse-string reinforced SMASectomy short scar facelift.Aesthet Surg J. 2009; 29: 180-188
- Minimal incision rhytidectomy (short scar face lift) with lateral SMASectomy.Aesthet Surg J. 2001; 21: 68-79
- Minimal access cranial suspension lift: a modified S-lift.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109: 2074-2086
- Injectable hyaluronic acid gel for soft tissue augmentation. A clinical and histological study.Dermatol Surg. 1998; 24: 1317-1325
- Long-term results of fat transplantation: clinical and histologic studies.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994; 94: 496-506
- Subcutaneous superficial musculoaponeurotic system grafting of the aging melolabial furrow.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2004; 6: 384-388
- SMAS graft of the nasolabial area during deep plane rhytidectomy.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 114 ([discussion 565–6]): 559-564
- Autologous superficial musculoaponeurotic system graft as implantable filler in nasolabial fold correction.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2008; 10: 260-266
- Comparison of AlloDerm, fat, fascia, cartilage, and dermal grafts in rabbits.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2008; 10: 187-193
Published online: September 06, 2012
Accepted: July 17, 2012
Received: March 23, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.