Prominent signs of ageing of the hands have recently been treated with permanent or longer-lasting injectable dermal fillers. However, few previous studies have described the long-term complications of such hand rejuvenation. The purpose of our report was to share our experience of 15 cases with long-term complications following hand rejuvenation using various medical fillers.
Patients and methods
We performed a retrospective review of the management of 15 patients who presented with complications from the injection of synthetic fillers for hand rejuvenation at a tertiary medical centre over a period of 10 years from March 2002 to January 2011.
Injected materials included polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) microsphere filler, calcium hydroxyapatite filler, hyaluronic acid filler, poly-l-lactic acid (PLLA) filler and other medical fillers. Of the total study sample of 15 patients, nine underwent surgical excision, six patients with a history of PMMA or PLLA filler injection received intralesional steroid therapy and three patients with a history of hyaluronic acid filler injection received injection therapy using hyaluronidase.
Hand rejuvenation complications can be successfully treated according to our proposed algorithm.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical experience with polymethylmethacrylate microsphere filler complications.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2012; 36: 421-426
- Efficacy of open rhinoplasty approach to foreign body granuloma of the nose.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64: 1387-1389
- The efficacy of perilesional surgical approach for foreign body granuloma.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 127: 121e-123e
- Clinical experience with hyaluronic acid-filler complications.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64: 892-896
- Clinical outcome in a series of 173 cases of foreign body granuloma: improved outcomes with a novel surgical technique.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012; 65: 29-34
- Hand rejuvenation with structural fat grafting.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 110 ([discussion 45–47]): 1731-1744
- Dorsal hand anatomy relevant to volumetric rejuvenation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 126: 163-168
- The ageing hand. A study to evaluate the chronological ageing process of the hand.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2008; 61: 681-686
- A 52-week study of safety and efficacy of calcium hydroxylapatite for rejuvenation of the ageing hand.J Drugs Dermatol. 2011; 10: 47-51
- Addressing volume loss in hand rejuvenation: a report of clinical experience.J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2008; 10: 237-241
- Ageing hands: a technique of hand rejuvenation by laser resurfacing and autologous fat transfer.J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1989; 15: 725-728
- Cosmetic use of polylactic acid for hand rejuvenation: report on 27 patients.J Cosmet Dermatol. 2006; 5: 233-238
- A five-patient satisfaction pilot study of calcium hydroxylapatite injection for treatment of ageing hands.Dermatol Surg. 2009; 35: 1978-1984
- Hand atrophy in a leprosy patient–treatment with polymethylmethacrylate.Lepr Rev. 2010; 81: 216-220
- Hand augmentation with Radiesse (Calcium hydroxylapatite).Dermatol Ther. 2007; 20: 385-387
- Hand recontouring with calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse).J Cosmet Dermatol. 2009; 8: 44-51
- Hand rejuvenation using intense pulsed light.J Cutan Med Surg. 2008; 12: 107-113
- Hand rejuvenation using Radiesse.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 125: 259e-260e
- Hand rejuvenescence by fat filling.Ann Plast Surg. 1992; 28: 559-564
- Laser ablation of unwanted hand veins.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 120: 2017-2024
- Nonsurgical hand rejuvenation with Dermicol-P35 30G.Aesthet Surg J. 2009; 29: S19-S21
- A novel approach to treatment of the ageing hand with Radiesse.J Drugs Dermatol. 2009; 8: 1122-1126
- Percutaneous collagen induction therapy for hand rejuvenation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 126: 203e-204e
- Rejuvenation of the ageing hand.Dermatol Clin. 2005; 23 (vii): 515-527
- Structural fat grafting for rejuvenation of the dorsum of the hand.Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2010; 42: 143-147
- Treatment of the aged hand with injectable poly-l-lactic acid.J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2010; 12: 284-287
- Utilization of the 1320-nm Nd:YAG laser for the reduction of photoageing of the hands.Dermatol Surg. 2004; 30: 1140-1144
- Complications related to Artecoll injections for soft tissue augmentation of the hand: 3 case reports.J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36: 994-997
- Hand rejuvenation.Aesthet Surg J. 2004; 24: 567-573
- Self-rejuvenation of the hand.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2010; 35: 511-512
- Combination hand rejuvenation procedures.Aesthet Surg J. 2009; 29: 409-413
Lemperle G, Sadick NS, Knapp TR, Lemperle SM. ArteFill permanent injectable for soft tissue augmentation: II. Indications and applications. Aesthetic Plast Surg: 34:273–286.
- Foreign body granulomas caused by polymethylmethacrylate microspheres: successful treatment with allopurinol.Arch Dermatol. 2003; 139: 17-20
- Filler complications.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010; 63: 703-705
Published online: July 03, 2012
Accepted: June 10, 2012
Received: January 25, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.