Reliable perineal and posterior vaginal wall restoration following extensive abdominoperineal excision or pelvic exenteration is a reconstructive challenge, especially if the rectus abdominis is unavailable or insufficient for transpelvic transposition. In this short report, we present a novel combined perforator-based technique, in which an inferior gluteal perforator flap is used for perineal reconstruction whereas vaginal reconstruction is performed simultaneously by means of a pudendal artery perforator flap. This procedure circumvents functional muscle loss, permits a tension-free closure of difficult three-dimensional defects and offers a high degree of reconstructive flexibility, which allows a straightforward and independent reconstruction of two different anatomical units.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Perforator flaps: a new option in perineal reconstruction.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010; 63: e766-e774
- Laparoscopic abdominoperineal resection with open posterior cylindrical excision and primary transpelvic VRAM.Flap Ann Surg Oncol. 2011;
- Ischial pressure sore reconstruction using an inferior gluteal artery perforator (IGAP) flap.Br J Plast Surg. 2002; 55: 83-85
- Evidence of the oncologic superiority of cylindrical abdominoperineal excision for low rectal cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 3517-3522
Horch RE, Kneser U, Weber K, Hohenberger W, Dragu A. The transpelvic vertical rectus abdominis flap: one interdisciplinary approach to reduce postoperative complications following surgery for rectal cancer. Ann Surg-D-10-00542, in press.
- Inferior gluteal artery myocutaneous island transposition flap reconstruction of irradiated perineal defects.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010; 63: 1169-1175
- Myocutaneous propeller flap based on the superior gluteal artery (SGA) for closure of large lumbosacral meningomyelocoele defects: a case report.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011;
- Perforator flaps: a new era in reconstructive surgery.Chirurg. 2011;
- Gene expression analysis of ischaemia and reperfusion in human microsurgical free muscle tissue transfer.J Cell Mol Med. 2011; 15: 983-993
- Perineal and posterior vaginal wall reconstruction with superior and inferior gluteal artery perforator flaps.Microsurgery. 2009; 29: 626-629
Published online: June 04, 2012
Accepted: April 30, 2012
Received: December 13, 2011
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.