Reconstructing partial defects of the ear can be challenging, balancing the creation of the details of the ear with scarring, morbidity and number of surgical stages. Common causes of ear defects are human bites, tumour excision and burn injuries.
Reconstructing defects of the ear with tube pedicled flaps and other local flaps requires an accurate measurement of size of the defect with little room for error, particularly under estimation.
We present a simple method of reconstruction for partial defects of the ear using a two-stage technique with post auricular transposition flaps. This allows for under or over estimation of size defects permitting accurate tissue usage giving good aesthetic outcomes.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Chondrocutaneous advancement flap for the marginal defect of the ear.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1967 May; 39: 472-477
- Reconstruction of marginal ear defects with modified chondrocutaneous helical rim advancement flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003 May; 111 (No abstract available): 2009-2013
- Ear reconstruction.in: Jackson I.T. Local flaps in head and neck reconstruction. Mosby, St. Louis1985: 251-272
- Double helical rim advancement flaps with scaphal resection: selected cases over 10 years and review of the literature.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2011 Aug; 35 (Epub 2011 Feb 27): 545-552
- Reconstruction of the auricle. I.Plast Reconstr Surg Transpl Bull. 1958 Aug; 22: 150-163
- Formation of the helix with a postauricular flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1950; 5: 432-440
- Repair of a defect of the helical rim.Dermatol Surg. 2009 Mar; 35 (Epub 2009 Feb 23): 509-512
- Somersault flap for reconstruction of the helix.Br J Plast Surg. 1975 Jan; 28: 71-74
- The bi-pedicle post-auricular tube flap for reconstruction of partial ear defects.Br J Plast Surg. September 2003; 56: 593-598
Published online: July 16, 2012
Accepted: March 7, 2012
Received: March 2, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.