Keloids of the ear are a challenging problem. Excision of keloid without any adjuvant treatment results in a recurrence rate of 45–100%.
1Numerous adjuvant treatments have been used with limited success. Ear lobe keloids are frequently encountered, as these lesions are excised, recurrences can be devastating because with each recurrence, the keloid consumes more local soft tissue, and can grow to compromise the underlying cartilage.
- Rosen D.J.
- Patel M.K.
- Freeman K.P.H.
- Weiss P.R.
A primary protocol for the management of ear keloids: results of excision combined with intraoperative and postoperative steroid injections.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 120: 1395-1400
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A primary protocol for the management of ear keloids: results of excision combined with intraoperative and postoperative steroid injections.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 120: 1395-1400
- Description of site-specific morphology of keloid phenotypes in an Afrocaribbean population.Br J Plast Surg. 2004; 57: 122-133
- Keloids and hypertrophic scars: a comprehensive review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989; 84: 827-837
- Keloids–clinical diagnosis, pathogenesis, and treatment options.J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2004; 2: 905-913
- Treatment of inflamed hypertrophic scars using intralesional 5-FU.Dermatol Surg. 1999; 25: 224-232
Published online: May 11, 2012
Received: November 19, 2011
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.