There are numerous methods for reconstruction of the eye socket. However, the use of an island flap on the forehead based on the anterofrontal branch of the superficial temporal artery has not been reported upon. This article describes an experience of eye-socket reconstruction in a 90-year-old woman with an anterofrontal superficial temporal artery island flap, a temporoparietal fascia flap and scapha composite grafting in a one-step procedure. Deep fornices were obtained and the convex eye socket was stably and easily fitted with the ocular prosthesis, which the patient started to wear 4 weeks after the operation. The socket and eyelids are without any deficits and in good condition with a 1-year follow-up.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Application of the lateral orbital flap to reconstruction of the upper and lower eyelids and the eye socket after enucleation.Ann Plast Surg. 2011; 66: 360-363
- Eyelids and eye socket reconstruction using the expanded forehead flap and scapha composite grafting.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 108: 8-16
- Prefabricated temporalis fascia pedicled flap for previously skin-grafted contracted eye socket.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 106: 571-575
- Total lower eyelid reconstruction with superficial temporal fascia flap and porous polyethylene implant: a case report.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012; 65: 110-113
- The reverse superficial temporal artery flap from the preauricular region, for the small facial defects.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012; 65: 149-155
- The superior auricular artery and retroauricular arterial island flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996; 98: 657-667
- “Malignant” contracture of the eye socket.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 74: 292-294
- Anterofrontal superficial temporal artery island flap for full-thickness eyelid reconstruction.Ann Plast Surg. 1989; 23: 433-437
- Temporal artery island flap in reconstruction of the eyelid.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 1995; 29: 239-244
- The versatility of the temporoparietal fascia flap in head and neck reconstruction.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012; 65: 141-148
Published online: May 14, 2012
Accepted: April 8, 2012
Received: February 27, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.