The indications, advantages, and disadvantages of round and anatomical implants have previously been described. The principles of biodimensional implant selection have been developed by several authors, where the objective choice of breast prosthesis for augmentation is based on the patient's breast tissues. This process has largely been applied to anatomical implant selection. We report a case of breast asymmetry, where we have applied the same concepts in the selection of implants based on tissue dimension. This resulted in an anatomical implant being used to augment the left breast, and a round implant on the right. To our knowledge a round implant and an anatomical implant have not previously been employed in the same patient to correct breast asymmetry. This resulted in excellent postoperative symmetry.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- History of augmentation mammaplasty.Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 2005; 50: 337-349
- Use of anatomical breast implants: 10 essentials.Aesthetic Surg J. 1998; 18: 77-84
- Five critical decisions in breast augmentation using five measurements in 5 minutes: the high five decision support process.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 116: 2005-2016
- A system for breast implant selection based on the patient tissue characteristics and implant-soft tissue dynamics.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109: 1396-1409
- Selection of secondary breast reconstruction procedures.Clin Plast Surg. 1984; 11: 253-256
- Breast augmentation with anatomical cohesive gel implants: the world's largest current experience.Clin Plast Surg. 2001; 28: 531-552
- Concepts in aesthetic breast dimensions: analysis of the ideal breast.J Plast Reconstr Aesthetic Surg. 2012; 65: 8-16
- Breast augmentation: choosing the optimal incision, implant, and pocket plane.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 105: 2202-2216
- Breast deformity caused by anatomical or teardrop implant rotation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109: 2555-2564
- Round gel breast implants or anatomic gel breast implants: which is the best choice?.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2009; 33: 743-751
Published online: April 30, 2012
Accepted: April 4, 2012
Received: November 11, 2011
☆Presented at the Allergan Expert Forum Meeting, in Heidelberg, Germany, October 10th, 2010.
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Commentary to ‘Asymmetric implants for breast asymmetry’Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic SurgeryVol. 65Issue 11