Traditional methods of reconstruction of the hair-bearing scalp can provide incorrect directional hair growth and may require secondary procedures to complete. We present a case of reconstruction of the anterior hairline after tumour resection in an infant. Lessons learned from the case have led to a novel method for a single stage reconstruction of the anterior hairline using pedicled superficial artery flaps.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Congenital malignant rhabdoid tumor of the scalp.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2011 Nov 11; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Subcutaneous tissue in the scalp: anatomical, physiological, and clinical study.Ann Plast Surg. 1986 May; 16: 368-376
- Scalp reconstruction with island hair-bearing flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Apr 15; 115: 1366-1371
- Anatomy of the superficial temporal artery.Head Neck Surg. 1980 Jul–Aug; 2: 466-469
- The fascial planes of the temple and face: an en-bloc anatomical study and a plea for consistency.Br J Plast Surg. 2003 Oct; 56: 623-629
- Sideburn reconstruction with an arterial V-Y hair-bearing scalp flap after the excision of basal cell carcinoma.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000 Jul; 106: 94-97
- Island scalp flap for superior forehead reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990 Apr; 85: 606-610
- Repair of scalp defect using a superficial temporal fascia pedicle VY advancement scalp flap.Br J Plast Surg. 2005 Jul; 58: 676-680
- The islanded scalp flap: a better regional alternative to traditional flaps.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 Dec; 116: 2039-2040
- Occipital artery Island V-Y advancement flap for reconstruction of posterior scalp defects.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010 Mar; 63: 410-415
Published online: April 05, 2012
Accepted: March 5, 2012
Received: February 22, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.