We read with interest this article regarding areolar tattooing prior to nipple reconstruction.
1However, we must disagree with the author and this particular technique in various aspects which we will highlight below. The criticism that the traditional technique of performing a nipple reconstruction before tattooing can be flawed with inconsistent pigment over the scarred skin does not do justice to the advances in tattooing techniques and pigments that are currently available.
- White C.P.
- Gdalevitch P.
- Strazar R.
- et al.
Surgical tips: areolar tattoo prior to nipple reconstruction.
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Dec; 64 (Epub 2011 Jul 21): 1724-1726
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical tips: areolar tattoo prior to nipple reconstruction.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011 Dec; 64 (Epub 2011 Jul 21): 1724-1726
Published online: April 26, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Surgical tips: Areolar tattoo prior to nipple reconstructionJournal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic SurgeryVol. 64Issue 12
- PreviewPatients undergoing breast reconstruction undergo a number of surgical procedures. Nipple and areola complex (NAC) reconstruction represents one of the last steps in breast reconstruction. NAC reconstruction is usually viewed as a simple procedure when compared to the previous mastectomy and reconstruction with free flap or implant. NAC reconstruction may be viewed as “the cherry on top” of the breast reconstruction; however the mere presence of a nipple on a reconstructed breast has a dramatic effect on the final esthetic outcome.