Squamous cell skin cancer (SCC) is the second most common skin malignancy. The risk of metastasis is usually low and generally occurs through lymphatic spread. Surgical excision is the gold standard for treatment and subsequent reconstruction often involves a skin graft from a distant donor site.
Our case highlights an incident in which metastatic spread of an SCC occurred in a distant skin graft donor site on the limb following free flap harvest.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Secondary malignant melanoma arising in a contralateral thigh donor site.Br J Plast Surg. 1984; 37: 386-387
- Metastatic implantation squamous cell carcinoma in a split-thickness skin graft donor site.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64: 690-692
- Needle biopsy of breast cancer. Appearance of tumour cells along the needle track.Eur J Surg Oncol. 1993; 19: 192-194
- Recurrence of breast cancer in the donor site after latissimus dorsi flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 115: 972-973
- Tumour recurrence at the donor site of the pectoralis major myocutaneous flap with a tumour free index site.Int J Otorhinolaryngol. 2005; 4 ([last accessed 30.07.11])
- Dissemination of melanoma cells with electrocautery plume.Am J Surg. 1999; 178: 57-59
- Surgery Induced Immunosuppression.Surgeon. 2010; 9: 38-43
- Transfusion criteria in free flap surgery.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2010; 142: 359-364
- The influence of allogenic blood transfusion in patients having free-flap primary surgery for oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma.Br J Cancer. 2006; 94: 647-653
- Inflammation to skin malignancy, time to rethink the link: SCC in skin graft donor sites.Surgeon. 2011; 9: 168-169
Published online: February 23, 2012
Accepted: January 29, 2012
Received: January 9, 2012
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.