Velopharyngeal insufficiency (VPI) has been reported in 5–20% of patients following cleft palate repair. Since VPI can limit communication, determining which operative procedure leads to the greatest improvement is of utmost importance. Since there is no consensus, this meta-analysis aims to determine which procedure results in the most significant resolution of VPI.
Two independent assessors undertook a literature review for articles that compare procedures aimed at treating VPI. Study quality was determined using validated scales. Level of agreement was assessed using intra-class coalition coefficient analysis. The heterogeneity between studies was evaluated using I2 and Cochran’s Q-statistic. Random effect model analysis and forest plots were used to report a pooled odds ratio (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (CI) for treatment effect. A p-value of 0.05 was considered for statistical significance.
Two randomised controlled trials (RCTs) comparing pharyngeal flap to sphincter pharyngoplasty were obtained. A total of 133 patients were included, with follow-ups at 3–4 months. The pooled OR was determined to be 2.95 (95% CI: 0.66–13.23) in favour of the pharyngeal flap.
Based on these RCTs, which currently compose the highest quality data that compares pharyngeal flap versus pharyngoplasty, the pooled treatment effect suggests a possible trend favouring pharyngeal flap.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Velopharyngeal incompetence: a guide for clinical evaluation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 112: 1890-1897
- Pharyngeal flap outcomes in nonsyndromic children with repaired cleft palate and velopharyngeal insufficiency.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 125: 290-298
- The evaluation and management of velopharyngeal dysfunction.Clin Plast Surg. 2004; 31: 261-269
- Posterior pharyngeal flap and sphincter pharyngoplasty: the state of the art.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2000; 37: 112-122
- The effect of surgeon experience on velopharyngeal functional outcome following palatoplasty: is there a learning curve?.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 102: 1375-1384
- Cleft palate repair at 3 to 7 months of age.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 105: 2127-2132
- Velopharyngeal function in nonsyndromic cleft palate: relevance of surgical technique, age at repair, and cleft type.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1998; 35: 95-100
- Tailoring velopharyngeal surgery: the influence of etiology and type of operation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994; 93: 948-953
- A comprehensive study of pharyngeal flap surgery: Tailor made flaps.Cleft Palate J. 1979; 16: 46-55
- Interventions for the management of submucous cleft palate.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; : CD006703
- Incorporating variations in the quality of individual randomized trials into meta-analysis.J Clin Epi. 1992; 45: 255-265
- Methodological index for non-randomized studies (minors): Development and validation of a new instrument.ANZ J Surg. 2003; 73: 712-716
- Pharyngeal flap and sphincterplasty for velopharyngeal insufficiency have equal outcome at 1 year postoperatively: results of a randomized trial.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2005; 42: 501-511
- Velopharyngeal surgery: a prospective randomized study of pharyngeal flaps and sphincter pharyngoplasties.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 110: 1401-1407
- Surgery for speech in cleft palate patients.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2004; 68: 1499-1505
- Impact of covert duplicate publication on meta-analysis: a case study.Br Med J. 1997; 315: 635-640
- Results with sphincter pharyngoplasty and pharyngeal flap.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1999; 48: 17-25
- A comparison of speech results after the pharyngeal flap and the dynamic sphincteroplasty procedures.Ann Plast Surg. 1991; 26: 441-443
- Comparison of speech improvement in cases of cleft palate after two methods of pharyngoplasty.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1962; 30: 36-42
- Salvaging the failed pharyngoplasty: Intervention outcome.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 1998; 35: 447-453
Published online: March 29, 2012
Accepted: January 26, 2012
Received: September 20, 2011
☆Presented at: The 16th Congress of the International Confederation for Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Vancouver, Canada (May 22nd–27th 2011).
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.