A 46-year-old woman with a history of metastatic malignant melanoma presented with what appeared to be a scaphoid nonunion. Biopsy and subsequent scaphoid excision confirmed the diagnosis of metastatic melanoma. Her quality of life was improved for her remaining 13 months by scaphoid excision. We assessed our results in relation to the literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hand metastasis from melanoma: a case study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978; : 264-266
- Malignant melanoma with metastasis into the capitate.Eur J Radiol. 2005; 56: 362-364
- Tumours of the hand.Lancet Oncol. 2007; 8: 157-166
- Heterogeneous survival rates for isolated skeletal metastases from melanoma.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996; : 277-283
- Epidemiology, staging (new system), and prognosis of cutaneous melanoma.Clin Plast Surg. 2010; 37: 47-53
- Cutaneous melanoma.in: Devita V.T. Hellman S. Rosenberg S.A. Principles and practice of oncology. JB Lippincott Company, 1993: 1612-1661
- Skeletal metastases of melanoma.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1978; 60: 645-649
- When to perform surgery in stage IV melanoma patients?.Onkologie. 2008; 31: 226-227
- Advanced cutaneous malignant melanoma: a systematic review of economic and quality-of-life studies.Value Health. 2008; 11: 259-271
- The economic burden of melanoma in France: assessing healthcare use in a hospital setting.Melanoma Res. 2008; 18: 40-46
Published online: March 05, 2012
Accepted: January 23, 2012
Received: December 15, 2011
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.