We report a 78 year-old male patient presented with a tumour in his forearm. He noticed a painful subcutaneous tumour 10 years previously, but ignored it. On inspection, an elastic, hard tumour of 35 × 25 mm in size was observed on the ulnar side of forearm, proximal to the wrist joint. Ultrasonography showed an elliptical, clearly marginated tumour with homogeneously low echogenicity (Figure 1[A]). Colour-flow imaging showed radial artery involvement, and scattered-flow signals were detected in the surrounding tumour parenchyma. Surgery showed that there was no tumour invasion in the surrounding tissues, except in the ulnar artery, which was involved in the tumour (Figure 1[B]). Therefore, we assumed that it was a vascular tumour or an aneurysm, and excised it with the involved portion of the ulnar artery, which was later reconstructed using a radial-cutaneous vein graft (Figure 1[C]). The excised tumour was 20 × 16 × 13 mm in size, and was non-encapsulated and well demarcated. The cross-sectional surface was greyish and solid, and the ulnar artery was surrounded by the tumour (Figure 1[D]).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Myofibromatosis in adults, glomangiopericytoma, and myopericytoma: a spectrum of tumors showing perivascular myoid differentiation.Am J Surg Pathol. 1998; 22: 513-525
- Der feinere Bau der Blutkapillaren.Zanat Entwicklungsgesch. 1923; 68: 29-109
- Intravascular myopericytoma of the superficial palmar arch.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2007; 32: 475-476
- A case of myopericytoma on the lower leg.Ann Dermatol. 2011; 23: 201-204
- Myopericytoma of skin and soft tissues:clinicopathologic and immunohistochemical study of 54 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 2006; 30: 104-113
Published online: February 24, 2012
Received: October 14, 2011
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.