Although many articles have investigated the optimal method for the primary correction of nasal deformities during unilateral cleft lip repair, residual nasal deformities often remain. Such residual deformities are commonly corrected around the age of 5. We have started performing two-stage nasal repair operations for unilateral cleft lip patients. During the first stage, the nasal floor is elevated, and the alar base is brought into the correct position by muscle reconstruction during primary lip repair. During the second stage, the slanting nasal apex and drooping alar rim are corrected at pre-school age. This article describes the methods and results of second-stage open rhinoplasty.
Open rhinoplasty is performed. The conchal cartilage is harvested and used as a strut to strengthen and extend the septum. The lower lateral cartilages are sutured to the grafted cartilage and fixed in the correct position. The operative results of 38 patients were evaluated photogrammetrically. The nasal height, nostril height and the columella angle on a basilar view of the nose were measured.
In most patients, the nose was refined and became less distorted. Poorly projecting nasal tips and drooping alar rims were corrected. The reformed configuration was relatively well maintained for many years. Photogrammetric analysis demonstrated increases in both the nasal height to nasal width ratio and the nostril height to nostril width ratio, and improvement of the columella angle.
Performing open rhinoplasty using conchal cartilage during childhood effectively improves unilateral cleft-lip nasal deformities.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Reconstruction of orbicularis oris and levator labii superioris muscles in secondary repair of unilateral cleft lip.Scand J Plast Reconst Hand Surg. 2000; 34: 121-129
- Autogenous septal cartilage graft in the correction of cleft lip nasal deformity.Br J Plast Surg. 1978; 31: 222-226
- External septorhinoplasty in the cleft lip nose.Ann Plast Surg. 1991; 26: 526-540
- Correction of secondary deformity of the cleft lip nose.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109: 1386-1393
- Primary correction of unilateral cleft lip nose:a 15-year experience.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986; 77: 558-566
- Primary correction of unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 106: 1276-1286
- Primary correction of unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity: a 10-year review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 75: 791-797
- Primary repair of the unilateral cleft lip nose: completion of a longitudinal study.Cleft Palate-Craniof J. 1996; 33: 23-31
- Primary correction of unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity in asian patients:anthropometric evaluation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 114: 1373-1381
- Long-term comparison of four techniques for obtaining nasal symmetry in unilateral complete cleft lip patients:a single surgeon’s experience.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2010; 120: 1348-1356
- Definitive repair of the unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 126: 1276-1284
- Reverse-U incision for secondary repair of cleft lip nose.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1977; 60: 256-261
- Collection of unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity in preschool and school-aged children with refined reverse-U incision and V–Y plasty: long-term follow-up results.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 119: 267-275
- A novel cleft rhinoplasty procedure combining an open rhinoplasty with the Dibbell and Tajima techniques: a 10-year review.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 124: 2041-2047
- Three autogenous struts for nasal tip support.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1972; 49: 527-532
- Use of ear cartilage grafts for nasal tip reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1972; 50: 147-152
- The residual unilateral cleft lip nasal deformity: a three-phase correction technique.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 76: 36-43
- Secondary correction of the unilateral cleft lip nose using a conchal composite graft.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 86: 991-995
- A 20 year audit of nose-tip symmetry in patients with unilateral cleft lip and palate.Br J Plast Surg. 2001; 54: 294-298
Published online: January 25, 2012
Accepted: January 3, 2012
Received: October 18, 2011
© 2012 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.