I have read with interest the paper entitled “Use of gentamicin collagen sponges for the treatment of periprosthetic breast implant infection”.
1The author addresses a worrisome complication deriving from the use of breast implants by means of an antibiotic release system widely in use in other surgical specialities in which it has shown its efficacy.
- Lapid O.
Use of gentamicin collagen sponges for the treatment of periprosthetic breast implant infection.
J Plast Reconstruct Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64: e313-6
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Use of gentamicin collagen sponges for the treatment of periprosthetic breast implant infection.J Plast Reconstruct Aesthet Surg. 2011; 64: e313-6
Benito P. “Modulación de la translocación bacteriana por el óxido nítrico y colágeno absorbible con gentamicina en un modelo inflamatorio inducido por una prótesis vascular intraabdominal y Zimosan A”, Doctoral thesis. University of Salamanca (Spain). 1997.
- Un nuevo tratamiento de la prótesis de mama expuesta.Cir Plást Iberolatinamer. 2011; 37: 63-66
Published online: January 05, 2012
Received: December 5, 2011
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Use of gentamicin collagen sponges for the treatment of periprosthetic breast implant infectionJournal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic SurgeryVol. 64Issue 12
- PreviewThe infection of a breast implant or tissue expander is a major complication with significant psychological and medical ramifications. The incidence has been reported to range from 1.1% in cosmetic augmentations to as high to 24% in a series of reconstructive cases. Gentamicin Surgical Implant is a surgical implant comprised of a lyophilised collagen matrix impregnated with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. When placed in the operative field, it achieves very high local concentrations of drug several fold above the minimal inhibitory concentrations; and the collagen carrier is absorbed.