Congenital variations of the shape and structure of the nipple lacks coverage in the medical literature. We present four cases of a specific and unique congenital nipple anomaly, the cleft nipple. Each woman had a normal contralateral breast and nipple–areola complex. Three of the four cases were corrected surgically with no complications experienced. Included in the discussion is a description of the techniques used in the corrective surgery and a review of the current literature on associated variations of normality.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
Arca MJ, Klinkner DB. Disorders of the breast http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/935410-overview.
- Mastitis nonpuerperalis after nipple piercing: time to act.Int J Fertil Womens Med. 2003; 48: 226-231
- Athelia: case report and review of the literature.Br J Plast Surg. 2005; 58: 833-837
- Bilateral intra-areolar polythelia.Arch Surg. 1975; 110: 1255
- Familial intra-areolar polythelia with mammary hypoplasia.Scand Reconstr Surg. 1982; 16: 287-291
- Unilateral intra-areolar polythelia: a rare anomaly.The Breast. 1999; 8: 51-52
- The proportions of supernumerary nipples in the Finnish population.Duodecim. 1915; 31: 143-170
- Genetic studies in a family with inverted nipples (mammillae invertita).Clin Genet. 1979; 15: 346-350
- Dermoscopic features of accessory nipples.Int J Dermatol. 2007; 46: 1067-1068
Published online: December 12, 2011
Accepted: November 10, 2011
Received: April 13, 2011
☆Meetings presented at, wholly or in, part: Poster Presentation at the 11th Congress ESPRAS (European Societies of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery), Rhodes, Greece 20–26 September 2009.
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.