The epidemic of injecting cathinone derivatives, marketed as “bath salts”, by intravenous drug users among inner city Dubliners led to an associated rise in soft tissue complications. The spectrum of the cases encountered, ranging from self-limiting cellulitis to extensive abscess formation, at a single institution is described.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- UNODC. World Drug Report.United Nations Publication, 2011 (Sales No. E.11.XI.10; 2011 Contract No.: Document Number)
ACMD. Consideration of the cathinones. London; 2010 Contract No.: Document Number|.
- Bubbles- prevention information for young people.Parents, Carers and Professionals. 2010; ([updated 2010; cited]; Available from:)http://www.spanglefish.com/visitglamis/documents/Police%20Reports/Bubbles%20or%20Mephedrone.%20Information.pdf
- Enquiries relating to cathinones.National Poisons Information Service, Health Protection Agency, 2010 (Contract No.: Document Number)
- An overview of new psychoactive substances and the outlets supplying them.National Advisory Committee on Drugs (NACD), 2011 (Contract No.: Document Number)
- An investigation into the microflora of heroin.Journal of Med Microbiol. November 1, 2002; 51: 1001-1008
- Dermatologic complications of cancer chemotherapy.5th ed. Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine, 2000
- Etiology and treatment of chemotherapeutic agent extravasation injuries: a review.J Clin Oncol. 1987 Jul; 5: 1116-1126
Published online: November 11, 2011
Accepted: October 3, 2011
Received: September 24, 2011
☆Previous Presentation: Presented as a Poster at the Sylvester O’Halloran Surgical Scientific Meeting, Ireland, March 2011.
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.