Transitional cell carcinoma (TCC) arising in the lacrimal sac is a rare neoplasm. Despite radical surgery and radiotherapy, these tumors generally have a poor prognosis due to an often late diagnosis, high rate of loco-regional recurrence and mortality. There are only a relatively small number of documented cases of TCC when compared to other epithelial malignancies of the lacrimal drainage system. As would be anticipated, there are currently no evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of these lesions. We present an illustrative case and consider the literature in relation to current surgical management of these tumors. We propose an alternate management consideration for these tumors.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tumors of the lacrimal sac: a clinicopathological analysis of 82 cases.Int Ophthalmol Clin. 1982; 22: 121-140
- Invasive transitional cell carcinoma of the lacrimal sac arising in an inverted papilloma.Arch Ophthalmol. 1994; 112: 306-307
- Transitional cell neoplasm of the nasolacrimal duct associated with human papillomavirus type 11.J Cutan Pathol. 2010; 37: 793-796
- Management of lacrimal sac tumours.Eye. 2003; 17: 599-606
- Lacrimal sac tumors.Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994; 10: 169-184
- Transitional cell carcinoma of the lacrimal sac.J Med Assoc Thai. 2005 Nov; 88: S138-S142
- Transitional cell carcinoma of the nasolacrimal sac.Clin Ophthalmol. 2009; 3: 587-591
- Management of transitional cell carcinoma of the lacrimal sac: a multidisciplinary approach to orbit sparing treatment.Laryngoscope. 2010; 120: S161
- Primary epithelial neoplasms of the lacrimal sac.Am J Ophthalmol. 1973; 76: 73-88
- Experience with sentinel lymph node biopsy for eyelid and conjunctival malignancies at a cancer center.Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 20: 291-295
Published online: October 10, 2011
Accepted: September 15, 2011
Received: August 9, 2011
© 2011 Published by Elsevier Inc.