The anterior scoring technique is criticised for a higher risk of haematoma related complications while the suture techniques for suture-extrusion and recurrence. Horlock et. al. described a suture otoplasty with addition of a postauricular fascial flap to reduce suture extrusion and noted recurrence rates of 8%. We report the senior author’s experience with this technique in 227 consecutive cases. All cases were done by or under supervision of the senior author and the data collected prospectively. Complications, recurrence, revision rate and results as recorded were analysed. A total of 10 (7 early 3 late) complications were recorded (4.4%). Suture extrusion (n = 6, 2.64%), Keloids (n = 3, 1.32%), Infection, anterior skin necrosis (n = 1 each, 0.44%). A total of 6 unilateral and 5 bilateral cases had a recurrence (3.67% total ears) and 97% of recorded outcomes were reported as good or excellent results. The low complication rate seems to support the hypothesis that the fascial flap prevents suture extrusion and reduces risk of recurrence. Lack of Anterior dissection avoids risks of bleeding and haematoma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The postauricular fascial flap as an adjunct to Mustardé and Furnas type otoplasty.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001 Nov; 108 (discussion 1491): 1487-1490
- Otoplasty: experience with a modification using a drill, and literature review.J Laryngol Otol. 2007 Jan; 121: 61-64
- Chondrites postoperatoires de l’oreille externe: 2 cases from a series of 200 cases (387 otoplasties).Ann Chir Plast Esthet. 1986; 31: 170
- Morbidity of otoplasty: a review of 562 consecutive cases.Br J Plast Surg. 1994; 47: 170
- Complications following correction of prominent ears: an audit review of 122 cases.Br J Plast Surg. 1999; 52: 588
- Long-term survey of prominent ear surgery: a comparison of two methods.Br J Plast Surg. 1986; 39: 270
- Comparison of cartilage scoring and cartilage sparing otoplasty–a study of 203 cases.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006; 59: 1170-1176
- Long-term results of posterior suturing with postauricular fascial flap otoplasty.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2010 Sep; 63: 1447-1451
Published online: November 10, 2011
Accepted: September 12, 2011
Received: July 6, 2011
☆Presented at the 2010 winter meeting of BAPRAS in London.
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.