Implant based breast reconstruction after risk reducing mastectomy (RRM) is challenging as implants are inadequately covered in their lower pole. Also complication rates with one stage procedures are significant.
We describe a novel method of pre-expansion by inserting subpectoral anatomical expandable implants to prepare the breast mound before RRM is carried out. Lipomodelling is later used to enhance the overall result of the reconstruction. Six patients who were BRCA 1 mutation carriers requested bilateral RRM. Median age was 31. All were non-smokers. Anatomical expandable implants were inserted via an inframammary incision and were expanded in the next two months. RRM was carried out 6–13 months later and was followed by lipomodelling seven months afterwards. Four patients had a nipple sparing mastectomy. In three cases access was via the previous inframammary scar.
In all cases complete implant cover had been achieved. There were no early postoperative complications but one patient has developed grade III capsular contracture on the side of previous wide local tumour excision and radiotherapy. Five patients have so far undergone post-mastectomy lipomodelling to improve breast contour. In conclusion, we believe that our technique provides better aesthetic results with reduced complication rates for these patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prophylactic mastectomy: indications, options and reconstructive alternatives.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 115: 891-909
- Prophylactic mastectomy for the prevention of breast cancer.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 11: CD002748
- Long term satisfaction and psychological and social function following bilateral prophylactic mastectomy.JAMA. 2000; 284: 319
- Skin-reducing mastectomy with breast reconstruction and sub-pectoral implants.J Plast Reconstruct Aesthet Surg. 2008; 61: 1303-1308
- Acellular dermis-assisted prosthetic breast reconstruction versus complete submuscular coverage: a head-to-head comparison of outcomes.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009 Dec; 124: 1735-1740
- Bilateral mastectomy reconstruction in the previously augmented patient.Aesthetic Surg J. 2008; 28: 472-473
- The case for performing initial breast augmentation prior to bilateral prophylactic mastectomy in BRCA-1 positive patients.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 114: 817-818
Published online: September 19, 2011
Accepted: September 6, 2011
Received: July 7, 2011
☆Paper presented at the BAPRAS Winter Scientific Meeting, London, December 2010.
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.