Guidelines recommend screening patients for Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) prior to cosmetic surgery to identify those who may require further psychological assessment
1but there are few validated instruments available. The aim of the current study was therefore to develop a screening questionnaire that (a) was brief, free to download and could identify people with BDD, (b) might predict either dissatisfaction with a cosmetic procedure or no change or deterioration in symptoms of BDD, and (c) may be sensitive to change after an intervention. The new scale was informed by the diagnostic criteria, expert opinion and a previous study that compared patients satisfied with cosmetic rhinoplasty with BDD patients who craved rhinoplasty but had not been able to obtain it.
National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE)
Obsessive-compulsive disorder: core interventions in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder and Body Dysmorphic Disorder. vol. 31. Clinical Guideline, 2005
- Veale D.
- De Haro L.
- Lambrou C.
Cosmetic rhinoplasty in Body Dysmorphic Disorder.
Br J Plast Surg. 2003; 56: 546-551
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder: core interventions in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder and Body Dysmorphic Disorder. vol. 31. Clinical Guideline, 2005
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty in Body Dysmorphic Disorder.Br J Plast Surg. 2003; 56: 546-551
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder: a treatment manual.John Wiley & Sons, Chichester2010
- Body dysmorphic disorder: a cognitive behavioural model and pilot randomised controlled trial.Behav Res Ther. 1996; 34: 717-729
Published online: October 17, 2011
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.