The Superior Gluteal Artery Perforator (SGAP) flap has been described as both a free flap, in particular for breast reconstruction and as a pedicled flap for lumbar and sacral soft tissue reconstruction. Much of the evolution of the flap was through work on sacral pressure sores. Kroll and Rosenfield
1described the use of perforator based flaps to reconstruct low posterior midline defects in the late 1980s. This work was further evolved by Koshima,
- Kroll S.S.
- Rosenfield L.
Perforator-Based flaps for low posterior midline defects.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988 Apr; 81: 561-566
2whose work on pressure sores led him to explore the anatomy of the gluteal artery perforators. Verpaele
- Koshima I.
- Moriguchi T.
- Soeda S.
- et al.
The gluteal perforator based flap for repair of sacral pressure sores.
Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993; 91: 678-683
3modified this further by selecting the superior gluteal artery perforator as the flap of choice for reconstruction in the sacral area. Leow et al
- Verpaele A.M.
- Blondeel P.N.
- Van Landuyt K.
- et al.
The superior gluteal artery perforator flap: an additional tool in the treatment of sacral pressure sores.
Br J Plast Surg. 1999; 52: 385-391
4demonstrate the successful use of the flap in the management of sacral pressure sores in cases of acquired paralysis. The SGAP flap has not been described in the literature in patients who have been non-ambulatory since birth.
- Leow M.
- Lim J.
- Lim T.C.
The superior gluteal artery perforator flap for the closure of sacral sores.
Singapore Med J. 2004; Vol 45: 37-39
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Perforator-Based flaps for low posterior midline defects.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988 Apr; 81: 561-566
- The gluteal perforator based flap for repair of sacral pressure sores.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993; 91: 678-683
- The superior gluteal artery perforator flap: an additional tool in the treatment of sacral pressure sores.Br J Plast Surg. 1999; 52: 385-391
- The superior gluteal artery perforator flap for the closure of sacral sores.Singapore Med J. 2004; Vol 45: 37-39
- Perforator-based interposition flaps for sustainable scar contracture release: a versatile, practical, and safe technique.Plast Reconstr Surg. April 2011; 127: 1524-1532
Published online: September 19, 2011
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.