Augmentation phalloplasty of the normal penis although is gaining popularity among a subgroup of men, is not free of complications. A 27 years old healthy man with normal functioning penis underwent a lipofilling penile augmentation. The procedure was complicated by a post-operative haematoma and infection resulting in a full thickness dorsal penile skin necrosis and a pedicled anterolateral thigh (ALT) perforator flap was required for reconstruction. His presentation, operation and final outcome are reported and the possible options for reconstruction are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The extended approach to the vascular pedicle of the anterolateral thigh perforator flap: anatomical and clinical study.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 117: 997-1001
- Self-ratings of genital anatomy, sexual sensitivity and function in men using the ‘Self-Assessment of Genital Anatomy and Sexual Function, Male’ questionnare.BJU Int. 2009; 103: 1096-1103
- Reconstruction of deformities resulting from penile enlargement surgery.J Urol. 1997; 158: 2153-2157
- A novel application for the repair of skin defects of the penis: anterior scrotal artery flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 124: 181e
- The vascular anatomy of the tensor fasciae latae perforator flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 124: 181-189
- A versatile two-stage hypospadias repair.Br J Plast Surg. 1995; 48: 345-352
- Scrotum reconstruction with the anterolateral thigh flap.Eur J Plast Surg. 2009; 32: 123-126
- A novel single flap technique for total penile reconstruction: the pedicled anterolateral thigh flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 124: 163-166
- Penile resurfacing with vascularised fascia lata.Microsurgery. 2005; 25: 462-468
- Thin anterolateral thigh perforator flap using a modified perforator microdissection technique and its clinical application for foot reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 117: 1004-1008
Published online: August 29, 2011
Accepted: July 14, 2011
Received: February 6, 2011
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.