The temporoparietal fascia flap (TPFF) is a versatile tool in head and neck reconstruction. This article aims to describe the spectrum of TPFF applications through a series of case studies and related review of the literature.
Medical records were reviewed to identify cases that represent major TPFF application categories. A literature review was performed to support the presentation and discussion of each case category.
Seven cases were identified each representing a distinct application category. These included auricular reconstruction, hair-bearing tissue transfer, facial soft tissue augmentation, cutaneous and mucosal oncologic defect repair, reconstruction after salvage laryngectomy, skull base reconstruction, and orbital reconstruction.
The TPFF is a uniquely versatile tool in head and neck reconstructive surgery. Outstanding in its pliable, ultra-thin yet hardy and highly vascular form, the temporoparietal fascia flap is a workhorse for the creative head and neck reconstructive surgeon.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Surgical anatomy and blood supply of the layers of the temporal region.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986; 77: 17-28
- Elsevier Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, Sccotland2008 Grey’s anatomy: The anatomical basis of clinical practice. 39th ed.
- Temporoparietal fascia: An anatomic and histologic reinvestigation with new potential clinical applications.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 105: 40-45
- Temporal branch of the facial nerve and its relationship to fascial layers.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2010; 12: 16-23
- An anatomical study of the temporal fascia and related temporal pads of fat.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 119: 136-144
- An analysis of 123 temporoparietal fascial flaps: Anatomic and clinical considerations in total auricular reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104: 1295-1306
- Anatomy of the superficial temporal artery and its branches: Its importance for surgery.Surg Radiol Anat. 2006; 28: 248-253
- The frontal branch of the facial nerve: The importance of its variations in face lifting.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1966; 352: 352-356
- The tempoaral branch of the facial nerve: How reliably can we predict its path?.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 1224-1226
- Using the frontal branch of the superficial temporal artery as a landmark for locating the course of the temporal branch of the facial nerve during rhytidectomy: An anatomical study.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 116: 623-629
- Hair-bearing temporoparietal fascial flap reconstruction of upper lip and scalp defects.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2001; 3: 170-177
- Temporoparietal fascial flap in inorbital reconstruction.Arch Facial Plast Surg. 2000; 2: 196-201
- Uses of superficial temporalis fascial flap in facial paralysis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 122: 176e-185e
- Endoscope-assisted temporoparietal fascia harvest for auricular reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 121: 1598-1605
- Endoscopic harvest of free temporoprietal fascial flap to improve donor-site morbidity.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 107: 1003-1009
- Secondary ear reconstruction with cartilage grafts covered by axial, random and free flaps of temporoparietal fascia.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1983; 72: 141-151
- The pocket principle: A new technique for the reattachment of a severed ear part.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1971; 48: 219-223
- Successful replantation of a completely avulsed ear by microvascular anastomosis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1980; 65: 820-823
- A comparison of ear reattachment methods: A review of 25 years since Pennington.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 118: 1358-1364
- Immediate reconstruction of the auricle using amputated cartilage and the temporoparietal fascia.Ann Plast Surg. 1988; 21: 378-381
- Totally avulsed ear: New technique of immediate ear reconstruction.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2009; 62: 846
- Use of an expanded temporoparietal fascial flap technique for total auricular reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 118: 374-382
- Ear reconstruction using a porous polyethylene framework and temporoparietal fascia flap.Facial Plast Surg. 2009; 25: 181-189
- Combined Fascial flap and expanded skin flap for enveloping Medpo framework in microtia reconstruction.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2009; 33: 518-522
- Lip reconstruction.Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2007; 40: 361-380
- Variations on the temporoparietal fascial flap.Laryngoscope. 1990; 100: 1236-1240
- Eyebrow reconstruction with intermediate hair from the hairline of the forehead on the pedicled temporoparietal fascial flap.Ann Plast Surg. 2003; 51: 314-318
- Pedicaled superfcial temporal fascia sandwich flap for reconstruction of severe facial depression.J Craniofac Surg. 2009; 20: 505-508
- Facial contour reconstruction with temporoparietal prelaminated dermal-adipose flaps.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2009 Nov; 20 ([Epub ahead of print])
- Pedicled temporoparietal fascial flap reconstruction of select intraoral defects.Laryngoscope. 2004; 114: 1545-1548
- Pedicled temporoparietal galeal flap for reconstruction of intraoral defects.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2008; 117: 581-586
- Vascularized temporoparietal fascial flap for closure of an orocutaneous fistula.Br J Plast Surg. 2001; 54: 275-276
- Free tissue reconstruction of the hypopharynx after organ preservation therapy: Analysis of wound complications.Laryngoscope. 2001; 111: 1192-1196
- Prevention of wound complications following salvage laryngectomy using free vascularized tissue.Head Neck. 2007; 29: 425-430
- Donor-site morbidity following radial forearm free tissue transfer in head and neck surgery.J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008; 37: 411-416
- Comparison of radial forearm with fibula and scapula osteocutaneous free flaps for oromandibular reconstruction.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2005; 131: 571-575
- The role of pectoralis flap in salvage laryngectomy.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009; 135: 1019-1023
- Neck and shoulder disability following reconstruction with pectoralis major pedicled flap.Laryngoscope. 2010; 120: 1129-1134
- Transpterygoid transposition of a temporoparietal fascial flap: A new method for skull base reconstruction after endoscopic expanded endonasal approaches.Laryngoscope. 2007; 117: 970-976
- Vascularized temporoparietal fascial flap for the treatment of a traumatic cerebrospinal fluid fistual in the middle cranial fossa.J Neurosurg. 2009; 111: 393-395
- A novel reconstructive technique after endoscopic expanded endonasal approaches: Vascular pedicle nasoseptal flap.Laryngoscope. 2006; 116: 1882-1886
- Anterior cranial base reconstruction: Role of galeal and pericranial flaps.Laryngoscope. 1990; 100: 607-614
- Pericranial flap for the closure of defects of craniofacial resection.Laryngoscope. 1981; 91: 952-959
- Anterior and middle cranial fossa skull base reconstruction using microvascular free tissue techniques: Surgical complications and functional outcomes.Ann Plast Surg. 2008; 60: 514-520
- Role of free tissue transfer in skull base reconstruction.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2007; 136: 914-919
- An algorithmic approach to reconstructive surgery and prosthetic rehabilitation after orbital exenteration.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009; 123: 98-105
- Vascularized calvarial bone flaps and midface reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2008; 122: 10e-18e
- Temporoparietal osteofascial flap for head and neck reconstruction.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2002; 60: 619-622
Published online: June 23, 2011
Accepted: May 11, 2011
Received: November 11, 2010
☆Presented at the 10th International Symposium for Facial Plastic Surgery in Hollywood, Florida, May 2010.
© 2011 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.