An arteriovenous (AV) fistula is an abnormal channel that blood flows directly from an artery into a vein, bypassing the capillaries. Acquired arteriovenous fistulas can be caused by any injury that damages an artery and a vein that lie side by side.
- Robbs J.V.
- Carrim A.A.
- Kadura A.M.
- et al.
Traumatic arteriovenous fistula; experience with 202 patients.
Br J Surg. 1994 Sep; 81: 1296-1299
2With the advent of microvascular surgery, free flap reconstruction of oral cancer has become the technique of choice with low complication rate.
- Maher M.
- Rabee M.
- Takrouri S.
- et al.
Traumatic arteriovenous fistula.
Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 63: 1792-1794
3In this report, we describe a rare complication of delayed development of an arteriovenous fistula after free ALT flap reconstruction.
- Makitie A.A.
- Beasley N.J.
- Neligan P.C.
- et al.
Head and neck reconstruction with anterolateral thigh flap.
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 129: 547-555
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Traumatic arteriovenous fistula; experience with 202 patients.Br J Surg. 1994 Sep; 81: 1296-1299
- Traumatic arteriovenous fistula.Ann Thorac Surg. 1997; 63: 1792-1794
- Head and neck reconstruction with anterolateral thigh flap.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2003; 129: 547-555
- Arteriovenous fistulae after free flap surgery in a replanted hand.J Hand Surg (Br). 1992; 17B: 657-659
- Traumatic pseudoaneurysm and high flow arteriovenos fistula involving internal jugular vein and common carotid artery. Treatment with covered stent and embolization.Australas Radiol. 2003; 47: 177-180
Published online: December 15, 2008
© 2008 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.