Bilateral traumatic castration if left untreated can result in permanent sexual, social and psychological maladjustments. We hereby report a novel procedure of temporary ectopic replantation of a traumatically avulsed testis on the forearm with refabrication and subsequent successful orthotopic microsurgical transfer to the perineum. The significance of this replantation is related to the refabrication of a long pedicle for subsequent reattachment to the perineum. This would not have been possible but for the ectopic replantation.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Traumatic amputation of the testicle. Successful reimplantation using microsurgery (author's transl).An Esp Pediatr. 1978; 11 ([abstract]. Available from Pubmed:): 865-867
- Replantation of the testis by microsurgical technique.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1985; 76: 620-625
- Replantation of the complete external genitals.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 1165-1168
- Microsurgical replantation of sexual organs in three patients.Scand J Urol Nephrol. 2002; 36: 14-17
- Salvage of the mutilated upper extremity with temporary ectopic implantation of the undamaged part.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986; 78: 295-299
- Transient single-digit ectopic implantation.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1992; 8: 309-311
- Temporary ectopic implantation of an amputated penis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1994; 93: 408-412
- Temporary ectopic implantation of amputated foot [Article in Chinese].Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2003; 17 ([abstract]. Available from Pubmed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez): 46-49
- Temporary ectopic implantation for salvage of amputated digits.Br J Plast Surg. 1996; 49: 174-177
Published online: May 30, 2007
Accepted: January 22, 2007
Received: November 9, 2006
☆Presented as a paper at the 9th Asian-Pacific Congress of the International Confederation of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, Mumbai, India (March 2005).
© 2007 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.