Bidigital amputations proximal to the PIP joints severely impair function and cosmesis of the hand. The author presents a clinical series of five patients in which a three-fingered hand was reconstructed through microvascular transfer of one of the stumps on top of the other. Five male patients with amputation of two fingers proximal to the PIP joint were treated surgically. One of the stumps was transferred as a local free composite flap on top of the other stump. All five transfers were successful. The mean operative time was 2 h 15 min. The subjective improvement on hand function and cosmesis, as evaluated by the patients, was positive. Free microvascular on-top plasty is a straightforward and reliable procedure for improving cosmesis and function in hands with two fingers amputated proximal to the PIP joint, without additional donor morbidity outside the already injured hand.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Psychological aspects.in: Foucher G. Reconstructive Surgery in Hand Mutilation. Martin Dunitz, London1997
- Minimizing impairment in laborers with finger losses distal to the proximal interphalangeal joint by second toe transfer.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 112: 1000-1011
- Sixty cases of partial or total toe transfer for repair of finger losses.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993; 92: 1331-1338
- Reconstruction of fingertip amputations by partial composite toe transfer with short vascular pedicle.J Hand Surg [Br]. 1998; 23: 457-464
- Microsurgical free partial toe transfer in hand reconstruction: A report of 12 cases.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1980; 65: 616-627
- Second toe wrap-around flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991; 88: 837-843
- Toe transplantation for isolated finger amputation distal to the proximal interphalangeal joint.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 103: 499-507
- Metacarpal hand: classification and guidelines for microsurgical reconstruction with toe transfers.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 122-128
- Osteodistraction after traumatic amputation of the little finger in a young musician.J Hand Surg [Br]. 1999; 24: 621-624
- On-top-plasty for amputated fingers.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1968; 42: 242-248
- Modified “on-top-plasty” technique for restoring length to amputation stumps.J Hand Surg [Br]. 2002; 27: 265-269
- Microvascular free on-top plasty in a mutilated hand.Ann Plast Surg. 2001; 47: 183-186
- One stage thumb reconstruction using a previously injured little finger from the contralateral hand.J Hand Surg [Br]. 1985; 10: 73-75
- Thumb reconstruction by free microvascular transfer of an injured index finger.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986; 77: 660-663
Published online: May 10, 2007
Accepted: March 9, 2007
Received: December 17, 2006
© 2007 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.