There are many possible methods for penis reconstruction, among them, pedicled flaps, myocutaneous flaps, combined osseocutaneous flaps, and free skin flaps. This study evaluated the free scapular skin flap method for penile reconstruction.
Fifteen men aged 20 to 48 underwent the procedure between March 2000 and February 2006, with follow-up examinations from 6 months to 5 years.
Fourteen of the reconstructions were successful, with patients enjoying good cosmetic results as well as functionality.
The free scapular skin flap technique is a good method for penile reconstruction.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anatomical study for ascending branch of circumflex scapular artery.Zhong Hua Zheng Xing Shao Shang Wai Ke Za Zhi. 1996; 12: 293-295
- Urethral prelamination in penile reconstruction with an osteo-cutaneous free fibular flap.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006; 59: 561-562
- A new phalloplasty technique: the free anterolateral thigh flap phalloplasty.J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006; 59: 153-157
- One-stage reconstruction of the penis.Br J Plast Surg. 1978; 31: 279-285
- Forearm flap in one stage reconstruction of the penis.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 74: 251-258
- Penile construction by the radial arm flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 15: 425-430
- Transsexual surgery in the genetic female.Clin Plast Surg. 1988; 15: 471-487
- Utilization of skin flap for reconstruction of the genitalia after an electric burn.Int Braz J Urol. 2006; 32: 68-69
- Penis reconstruction using three different operative methods.J Urol. 2005; 174: 2299
- Penis reconstruction using three different operative methods.Br J Plast Surg. 2005; 58: 487-492
Published online: April 25, 2007
Accepted: March 5, 2007
Received: July 2, 2006
© 2007 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.