Amputations through the distal interphalangeal joint or distal to this joint are frequent and they represent probably one of the best indications for replantation. Details on the vascular anatomy of the fingertip have to be perfectly known by the surgeon who will have to deal with these replantations. Factors such as age, mechanism of amputation and type of anastomosis will influence the overall success rate of the procedure. Return of a true static two points discrimination can be observed in children even in the absence of any neural repair.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Distal digital replantation: one of the best indications for microsurgery.Int J Microsurg. 1981; 3: 263-270
- A retrospective study of functional outcomes after successful replantation versus amputation closure for single fingertip amputations.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2006; 31: 811-818
- Adjacent and spontaneous neurotization after distal digital replantation in children.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 111 ([discussion 66]): 159-165
- Arterial system of the finger.J Hand Surg. 1990; 15A: 150-154
- Fingertip replantation in children.Hand Clin. 2000; 16: 541-546
- Artery anatomy and tortuosity in the distal finger.J Hand Surg. 1991; 16A: 297-302
- Digital artery tortuosity and elasticity: a biomechanical study.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1991; 7: 105-108
- Technique for distal replantation.Tech Hand Up Extrem Surg. 1999; 3: 80-86
- Distal and very distal digital replantations.Br J Plast Surg. 1992; 45: 199-203
- A technique for replantation of the finger tip.Microsurgery. 1989; 10: 1-4
- Three successful digital replantations in a patient after 84, 86, and 94 hours of cold ischemia time.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1988; 82: 346-350
- Fingertip replantation with an efferent A-V anastomosis for venous drainage: clinical reports.Br J Plast Surg. 1993; 46: 187-191
- The venocutaneous fistula: a new technique for reducing venous congestion in replanted fingertips.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 1771-1774
- The “chemical leech”: intra-replant subcutaneous heparin as an alternative to venous anastomosis. Report of three cases.Br J Plast Surg. 1989; 42: 556-558
- Local subcutaneous heparin as treatment for venous insufficiency in replanted digits.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 103: 1719-1724
- Replantations digitales distales. A propos d'une série de 61 cas.La Main. 1997; 2: 329-335
- Fingertip replantations: clinical evaluation of 135 digits.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996; 98: 470-476
Published online: May 21, 2007
Accepted: February 21, 2007
Received: October 29, 2006
© 2007 Published by Elsevier Inc.