Complete hand amputation has been considered conventionally as an indication for the use of mechanical prosthetic devices in order to regain some hand like function.
A microsurgical option to create a new pinching ability after wrist amputation has been used in a series of 13 patients. The actual operation technique is presented in detail. It was designed by the senior author in 1981 and applied into clinical use in 1983. In order to evaluate the functional results and patient satisfaction in long-term, a questionnaire was sent to 12 patients and 11 patients were interviewed, examined clinically and studied with a hand function scoring test according Sollerman. The operated series consist of 12 adults with posttraumatic distal antebrachial or wrist amputations and 1 adolescent boy with a congenital wrist level amputation. There were 3 females and 10 males in the series. The satisfaction to achieved result was generally good.
The ADL section of Tamai score and the one we used correlated well with each other and patient satisfaction. Sollerman hand function test gave worse results in two blind patients and same occurred in two short antebrachial stump patients. However the satisfaction was much better in Tamai score among blind patients, with wrist amputation level amputations. In our opinion this single toe transfer method gives an acceptable pinch reconstruction for hand amputation patients. We measured pinch strength and total active motion. They averaged about half of the normal values. The reconstruction is suitable to the patients, who are not willing to donate multiple toes or who are aware and concerned about the risks of human hand transplantation, which necessarily will need a life-long immunosuppressive medication to prevent from rejection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lessons from hand transplantations.Lancet. 2001 Feb 17; 357: 494-495
- Official statements of the scientific societies on human hand transplantation surgery.Rivista di chirurgia della mano. 1999; : 351-359
- Recent advance in Krukenberg's operation.Acta Chir Scand. 1948; 97: 165-188
Epping W., Long term result about a great-toe-transplantation from 1919. (Langzeitergebnis einer Grosszeh-Transplantation aus dem Jahre 1919. In german language.) Symposium Publication of Professor Geldmacher in 1990. Personal Communication 1990.
- Microsurgery in China.Clin Plast Surg. 1980 Oct; 7: 437-474
- Microsurgical transfer of the great toe to the radius to provide prehension after partial avulsion of the hand.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1983 Jul; 8: 453-460
- Freie Zehenubertragung auf den Unterarmstumpf nach Handgelenksamputation –eine moderne Alternative zur Krukenberg-Operation.Handchirurgie. 1985; 17: 92-97
- Thumb reconstruction in a bilateral upper extremity amputee: an alternative to the Krukenberg procedure.J Hand Surg. 1999; 24A: 194-197
- Bilateral pinch reconstruction: versatility of the Masquelet-Zancolli flap and the Wilkki operation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991 Jan; 87 ([discussion 169]): 165-168
- Reconstruction of grip function in cases of a fingerless or missing hand.Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 1984 Dec; 16: 220-225
- Toe-to-hand transfers in the rehabilitation of frostbite injury.Ann Plast Surg. 1993 Sep; 31: 245-250
- Modification of the Furnas-Vilkki technic in the reconstruction of congenital or traumatic carpal hands.Ann Chir Main Memb Super. 1995; 14: 103-108
- Toe to antebrachial stump transplantation. Functional results after new grip reconstruction.in: Brunelli Textbook of Microsurgery. Masson, 1988: 329-333
- Grip reconstruction with toe to antebrachial stump transfer.in: Landi Reconstruction of the Thumb. Chapman and Hall Medical, London1989: 233-241
- Functional restoration of the no-finger hand.in: Duparc Surgical Techniques in Orthopaedics and Traumatology. Elsevier, Paris2001 (55-390-B-10, 1–8)
- Advances in microsurgical reconstruction of the congenitally adactylous hand.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1995; 314: 45-58
- Overcoming soft-tissue deficiency in toe-to-hand transfer using a dorsalis pedis fasciosubcutaneous toe free flap: Surgical technique.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2005 Jan; 30: 111-119
- Report of subcommittee on replantation.J Hand Surg. September 1983; 8 ([Part 2]): 730-732
- Sollerman hand function test. A standardized method and its use in tetraplegic patients.Scand J Plast Reconstr Hand Surg. 1995; 29: 167-176
- Clinical rating systems for the ankle-hindfoot, midfoot, hallux and lesser toes.Foot Ankle Int. 1994; 15: 349-353
- A reconstructed digit by transplantation of a second toe for control of an electromechanical prosthetic hand.Microsurgery. 2002; 22: 5-10
- Microsurgical reconstruction of the amputated hand.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1984; 1: 161-165
- Bilateral hand reconstruction: report of three cases.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1985 Jul; 1: 253-261
Published online: April 24, 2007
Accepted: February 6, 2007
Received: December 6, 2006
© 2007 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.