The tongue has important roles in deglutition, speech, airway protection, taste, and sexual function, and its amputation is very serious. Using supermicrosurgical techniques, we replanted successfully a patient's tongue, the distal part of which had been amputated by the bite of another person, through the anastomosis of a blood vessel that was only 0.7–0.8 mm. The result was that the state of the replanted tongue was relatively good both functionally and aesthetically, and the patient was very satisfied.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Successful replantation of a totally avulsed scalp.Br J Plast Surg. 1979; 32: 19-21
- Successful replantation of an amputated upper lip.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 73: 664-670
- Microsurgical reattachment of totally amputated ears.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1987; 79: 535-541
- Microsurgical replantation of a completely amputated penis and scrotum.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1977; 60: 287-291
- Successful replantation of an amputated tongue.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 101: 1604-1607
- Replantation of an amputated tongue.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 108: 1441-1442
- Successful revascularization following near-complete amputation of the tongue.Ann Plast Surg. 2006; 56: 190-193
- Medial plantar perforator flaps with supermicrosurgery.Clin Plast Surg. 2003; 30: 447-455
- Microsurgical tongue revascularization following oromandibular cancer resection.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 108: 141-144
- The blood supply of dorsal tongue flaps.Br J Plast Surg. 1981; 34: 379-384
Published online: March 09, 2007
Accepted: January 17, 2007
Received: May 8, 2006
© 2007 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.