A 23-year-old male presented with a swelling over the volar aspect of the middle finger of the left hand. The swelling had been present since birth, however, it increased over a period of two months and became increasingly painful. He denied any previous trauma to the finger. Examination showed a painless, compressible, slightly pulsatile, lilaceous swelling over the distal one third of the left middle finger. There was no sensory or motor impairment. Doppler ultrasound showed the presence of an arteriovenous malformation (22×8 mm) on the ulnar side of the volar aspect of the distal phalanx with normal flow velocity. This was confirmed by arteriography that showed an arteriovenous malformation in the late arterial phase with a major venous component.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Haemangiomas and vascular malformations in infants and children: a classification based on endothelial characteristics.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1982; 69: 412-420
- How I do it. Arteriovenous malformation management.Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 1996; 19: 65-71
- Magnetic resonance of vascular anomalies.Magn Reson Imaging Clin N Am. 2002; 10: 363-388
- Arteriovenous malformation of the ring finger. Pre- and postoperative evaluation using three dimensional computed tomography angiography.J Compt Assist Tomogr. 2003; 27: 820-823
- Childhood haemangiomas and vascular malformations: angiographic differentiation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1983; 141: 483-488
- Percutaneous sclerotherapy for congenital venous malformations in the extremities.Orthopedics. 2001; 24: 45-51
- Resection of vascular malformations.J Hand Surg (Br). 1993; 18: 17-21
- The blood supply of digital nerves: a microanatomical study of superficial and deep palmar venous networks.J Hand Surg (Br). 1992; 17: 632-637
Published online: February 09, 2007
© 2007 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.