Amniotic band syndrome refers to the uncommon occurrence of a variety of congenital deformities, most probably due to foetal entanglement in strands ruptured from the amniotic sac. We present a rare case of an abdominal constriction band together with a short literature review.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Congenital ring-constriction of the trunk.Br J Plast Surg. 1973; 26: 340-343
- Observations on the spontaneous amputations of limbs of the foetus in utero, with an attempt to explain the occasional cause of its production.Dublin J Med Chem Sci. 1832; 1: 40
- Amniochorionic mesoblastic strings and amniotic bands: associated constricting fetal malformations or fetal death.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1965; 91: 65-75
- Fetal limb deformities due to amniotic constrictions (a possible consequence of preceding amniocentesis).Pathol Res Pract. 1978; 162: 316-326
- The amniotic band disruption complex: timing of amniotic rupture and variable spectra of consequent defects.J Pediatr. 1979; 95: 544-549
- Amniotic band syndrome associated with amniocentesis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1981; 141: 588-591
- Amniotic band disruption syndrome associated with elevated amniotic AFP and normal acetylcholinesterase gel test.Prenat Diagn. 1984; 4: 443-446
- Amniotic bands in connective tissue disorders.Arch Dis Child. 1985; 60: 1061-1063
- The amniotic band disruption complex. The pathogenesis of congenital limb ring-constrictions; an experimental study in the foetal rat.Br J Plast Surg. 1988; 41: 45-51
- The amniotic band syndrome.Obstet Gynecol. 1973; 41: 332-336
- Congenital ring-constrictions.Br J Plast Surg. 1961; 14: 1-31
- Focal deficiencies in fetal tissue and their relation to intra-uterine amputations.Contrib Embryol. 1930; 22: 1
- Congenital constricting bands of the extremities.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1951; 8: 101-109
- Circumferential abdominal skin defect possibly due to umbilical cord encirclement.Teratology. 1999; 60: 258-259
- Clubfoot deformity in congenital constriction band syndrome: manifestations and treatment.J Formos Med Assoc. 1998; 97: 328-334
- Resistant talipes equinovarus associated with congenital constriction band syndrome.J Pediatr Orthop. 2000; 20: 240-245
Published online: January 17, 2007
Accepted: October 10, 2006
Received: November 19, 2005
© 2006 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.