As the management of prominent mandibular angle and masseter muscle hypertrophy becomes increasingly popular, proper understanding of the volumetric component of the related structures becomes important but is currently lacking.
Materials and methods
Three-dimensional computed tomographic (CT) scans of 18 female and eight male adult patients with square-face appearance were used for volumetric measurement of the osseous hemi-mandible, masseter, medial and lateral pterygoid muscles. CT scans of 28 female and 17 male adult patients without square-face appearance were selected from the imaging laboratory archive to serve as controls.
Compared with the sex-matched controls, the square-faced patients had significantly higher volume of the osseous hemi-mandible as well as the masseter and medial pterygoid muscles. There was no significant difference in the volume of the lateral pterygoid muscle between the two groups.
This study confirms a significantly greater volume in the osseous mandible and masseter muscle in patients complaining of square-face appearance. The implication of this information on treatment is discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The prominent mandibular angle: preoperative management, operative technique, and results in 42 patients.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1989; 83: 272-280
- Mandibular angle augmentation and reduction.Clin Plast Surg. 1991; 18: 153-161
- Mandibular contouring surgery for purely aesthetic reasons.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 1991; 15: 53-60
- Angle-splitting ostectomy for reducing the width of the lower face.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 1831-1839
- Mandibular contouring surgery by angular contouring combined with genioplasty in orientals.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1998; 101: 461-472
- The medical management of masseteric hypertrophy with botulinum toxin type A.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1994; 32: 26-28
- Botulinum toxin treatment of bilateral masseteric hypertrophy.Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1994; 32: 29-33
- A prospective study of the effect of botulinum toxin A on masseteric muscle hypertrophy with ultrasonographic and electromyographic measurement.Br J Plast Surg. 2001; 54: 197-200
- Type A botulinum toxin for the treatment of hypertrophy of the masseter and temporal muscles: an alternative treatment.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 107: 327-332
- Botulinum toxin type A treatment for contouring of the lower face.Dermatol Surg. 2003; 29: 477-483
- Effects of botulinum toxin type A on bilateral masseteric hypertrophy evaluated with computed tomographic measurement.Dermatol Surg. 2003; 29: 484-489
- Botulinum toxin type A in the management of masseter muscle hypertrophy.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2005; 63: 20-24
- The use of botulinum toxin type A in aesthetic mandibular contouring.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005; 115: 919-930
- Effects of botulinum toxin type A on contouring of the lower face.Dermatol Surg. 2005; 31: 502-507
- Three-dimensional computed tomography imaging in craniofacial surgery: morphological study and clinical applications.Chang Gung Med J. 2003; 26: 1-11
- Analyze: a comprehensive, operator-interactive software package for multidimensional medical image display and analysis.Comput Med Imaging Graph. 1989; 13: 433-454
- Biomedical imaging, visualization and analysis.John Willey and Sons, Inc., New York, NY1999
- Volumetric change of the muscles of mastication following resection of mandibular angles: a long-term follow-up.Ann Plast Surg. 2005; 54: 615-621
- Relationship between bone and muscles of mastication in hemifacial microsomia.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 990-997
- Quantitative measurement on three-dimensional computed tomography: an experimental validation using phantom objects.Chang Gung Med J. 2000; 23: 354-359
- Mandibular contouring: a surgical technique for the asymmetrical lower face.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104: 1165-1171
- Relationship in hypoplasia between the masticatory muscles and the craniofacial skeleton in hemifacial microsomia, as determined by 3-D CT imaging.J Craniofac Surg. 2001; 12: 31-40
- Volume and shape of masticatory muscles in patients with hemifacial microsomia.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2003; 40: 6-12
- Volumetric change of the medial pterygoid following distraction osteogenesis of the mandible: an example of the associated soft-tissue changes.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2003; 111: 1804-1807
- Longitudinal results of mandibular distraction osteogenesis in hemifacial microsomia.J Craniofac Surg. 2003; 14: 924-933
- The position of the inferior alveolar nerve at the mandibular angle: an anatomical consideration for aesthetic mandibular angle reduction.Ann Plast Surg. 2004; 53: 50-55
Published online: September 01, 2006
Accepted: May 30, 2006
Received: February 21, 2006
© 2006 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.