Prefabrication can be used to produce capsular flaps; other researchers have confirmed the feasibility of such flaps.
Before the possibilities of capsular flaps can be explored, a reliable method to create these flaps has to be established first.
To produce capsular flaps in a rat model, the femoral vascular bundle was sandwiched between two silicone sheets. Three different methods were used and described. The capsule that formed between the two silicone sheets receives its main blood supply from that vascular pedicle. In this way pedicled capsular flaps were created. These flaps were used as a carrier for a skin graft, thus pre-laminating them, to test their ability for reconstructive surgery.
The results of the three different methods of creating capsular flaps in a rat model were described and their results were evaluated. Especially the amount of capsule formation and the viability of the skin grafts was observed and compared.
The feasibility of pre-laminated capsular flaps is confirmed and the most reliable method of creating them is described.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Radial forearm flaps for reconstruction in hand surgery.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2004; 38: 112-117
- Reverse radial forearm fascial flap for soft tissue coverage of hand and forearm wounds.J Hand Surg [Br]. 2000; 25: 385-389
- Observations on the use of radial forearm (Chinese) and posterior interosseous reverse pedicled island flaps in hand surgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1991; 88: 175-177
- The radial forearm flap for reconstruction of the upper extremity.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1990; 86: 920-927
- Two modifications of the radial forearm flap for reconstruction of complex facial defects.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1999; 15: 489-493
- Radial forearm free tissue transfer for head and neck reconstruction: versatility and reliability of a single donor site.Microsurgery. 2000; 20: 195-201
- The radial forearm free flap for head and neck reconstruction: a review.Am J Surg. 1994; 168: 446-450
- The radial forearm flap in head and neck reconstruction.J Otolaryngol. 1987; 16: 382-386
- Anterolateral thigh flap: an ideal soft tissue flap.Clin Plast Surg. 2003; 30: 383-401
- Anterolateral thigh flap for breast reconstruction: review of the literature and case reports.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2003; 19: 63-68
- Versatility of the free anterolateral thigh flap for reconstruction of soft-tissue defects: review of 140 cases.Ann Plast Surg. 2002; 48: 161-166
- Pretransfer tissue expansion of a scalp free flap for burn alopecia reconstruction in a child: a case report.J Reconstr Microsurg. 1990; 6: 339-343
- Free flap donor site refinement using tissue expansion.Ann Plast Surg. 1988; 20: 566-572
- Preexpanded radial forearm free flap to the scalp.Ann Plast Surg. 1996; 37: 629-632
- Easy tissue expansion of prelaminated mucosa-lined flaps for cheek reconstruction in a canine model.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109: 1978-1985
- Prefabricated and prelaminated flaps for head and neck reconstruction.Clin Plast Surg. 2001; 28 ([vii]): 261-272
- Flap prefabrication in the head and neck: a 10-year experience.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 103: 808-820
- Reconstruction of the floor of the mouth with a fascial radial forearm flap, prelaminated with autologous mucosa.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1998; 27: 106-110
- Mucosal prelaminated flaps for physiological reconstruction of intraoral defects after tumour resection.Br J Plast Surg. 1997; 50: 303-307
- Neuromucosal prelaminated flaps for reconstruction of intraoral lining defects after radical tumor resection.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 103: 821-828
- Prelaminating the fascial radial forearm flap by using tissue-engineered mucosa: improvement of donor and recipient sites.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 108: 1564-1572
- Principles of flap prefabrication.Clin Plast Surg. 1992; 19: 763-771
- Vascular implantation into skin flap: experimental study and clinical application: a preliminary report.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1981; 68: 404-410
- Analysis of silicone in human breast and capsular tissue surrounding prostheses and expanders.Ann Plast Surg. 1991; 27: 553-558
- Silicone analysis of breast and periprosthetic capsular tissue from patients with saline or silicone gel breast implants.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1996; 98: 798-803
- Analysis of silicone levels in capsules of gel and saline breast implants and of penile prostheses.Ann Plast Surg. 1995; 34: 578-584
- Capsular tissue: a new local flap.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993; 91: 1073-1079
- An experimental study of prefabricated flaps using silicone sheets, with reference to the vascular patternization process.Ann Plast Surg. 1992; 28: 140-146
- The fate of the pseudosheath pocket around silicone implants.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1973; 51: 667-671
- A peri-implant capsule flap.Br J Plast Surg. 1993; 46: 456-459
- De novo induction of island capsule flap by using two silastic sheets: part 1. Generation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999; 104: 1023-1028
- Bladder reconstruction using a prevascularized capsular tissue seeded with urothelial cells.J Urol. 2001; 165: 980-985
Published online: July 10, 2006
Accepted: May 9, 2006
Received: January 18, 2006
☆Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Dutch Society for Plastic Surgery in The Hague, The Netherlands, in April 2004.
☆Presented at the Annual meeting of the German Society for Plastic Surgery in Dusseldorf, Germany, in September 2004.
© 2006 British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.