We report the first case of pregnancy-related primary cutaneous meningioma of the scalp in a 27-year-old female. Types, differential diagnosis, pregnancy-related growth and treatment of extracranial meningiomas are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary interosseous meningioma associated with pregnancy.Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo). 1989; 29: 619-623
- Literature statistics do not support a growth stimulating role for female sex steroid hormones in haemangiomas and meningiomas.J Neurooncol. 1991; 11: 243-253
- Cutaneous meningiomas – a clinicopathologic study.Cancer. 1974; 34: 728-744
- Brain neoplasms in women: a review.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 45: 904-927
- Primary extracranial meningioma of the soft palate.J Laryngol Otol. 2000; 114: 149-150
- Ectopic meningioma of the finger.J Neurosurg. 1983; 58: 778-780
- Primary extracranial meningioma of the foot: a case report.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2000; 30: 313-317
- Mediastinal meningioma.Am J Surg Pathol. 1979; 3: 557-562
- Primary intrathoracic meningioma: histopathological, immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study of two cases.Virchows Arch. 2001; 439: 196-200
- Diagnostic and therapeutic problems in extracranial meningiomas.Am J Surg. 1973; 126: 452-457
- Epithelial membrane antigen and cytokeratin expression by meningiomas: an immunohistological study.J Clin Pathol. 1986; 39: 435-439
- Extracranial meningioma.Ann Otol. 1979; 88: 407-412
- Variation of expression of the gene for type 2 neurofibromatosis: absence of a gender effect on vestibular schwannomas, but confirmation of a preponderance of meningiomas in females.J Laryngol Otol. 1995; 109: 830-835
- Carcinoma of breast and meningioma.Cancer. 1983; 51: 1937-1940
Published online: June 15, 2006
Accepted: January 1, 2006
Received: June 26, 2005
☆Presented at the Spring Meeting of the Belgian Society for Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery, 8 May 2004, Gent, Belgium.
© 2006 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.