Acute trauma with total or sub-total ear amputation is a problem that the plastic surgeon is sometimes asked to solve. The ear is very difficult to reconstruct due to its complex structure, delicate elastic cartilage and thin cutaneous envelope. The morbidity of a total or near total ear amputation is severe, both functionally and aesthetically. Consequently, every effort must be made to salvage an amputated ear segment. The choice of the salvage procedure is influenced by the conditions of the amputated segment, the stump and adjacent tissues. A clean cut amputation gives the plastic surgeon a better chance of success, but frequently the reconstruction is very difficult, if not impossible, due to heavy damage to the ear and surrounding tissues. Microsurgical ear replantation is a possible option but in our experience rarely possible due to vessel damage. The plastic surgeon must be familiar with ‘non-microsurgical’ therapeutic alternatives for this problem, specifically with the ones that can be used with badly traumatised ears. We think Baudet´s
1fenestration technique is still an option to consider in these difficult clinical situations.
- Baudet J.
- Tramond P.
- Goumain A.
A propos d'un procédé original de réimplantation d'un pavillon de l'oreille totalement séparé.
Ann Chir Plast. 1972; 17: 67
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A propos d'un procédé original de réimplantation d'un pavillon de l'oreille totalement séparé.Ann Chir Plast. 1972; 17: 67
- Management of avulsion injuries of the external ear.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1967; 40: 534
- Ear reattachment by the modified pocket principle.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1973; 51: 584
- Ear replantation without microsurgery.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99: 1868-1872
- Implantes osteointegrados na correcção do pavilhão auricular.Rev Port ORL. 2000; 38: 265-270
Published online: June 24, 2006
© 2006 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.