Enzinger and Weiss first described Collagenosis Nuchae (CN) or nuchal fibroma (NF) in 1988. CN is a rare benign soft tissue tumour that arises from the posterior cervical subcutaneous tissue with predilection for the interscapular and paraspinal regions. It is more common in males. CN has been reported in association with trauma, diabetes, scleredema and Gardner's syndrome. The true incidence of CN is probably higher than recognised and CN should be in the differential diagnosis of head and neck lesions. Histological examination is required for the diagnosis. Careful total excision provides cure and accurate diagnosis. The purpose of this study is to review the epidemiological, clinical, histopathological and radiological features of this rare lesion, which is often misdiagnosed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Nuchal fibroma. A clinopathological study of nine cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 1995; 19: 313-317
- Nuchal-type fibroma appearance in a desmoid fibromatosis.Am J Surg Pathol. 2001; 25: 828-829
- Nuchal fibroma: a clinopathological review.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2000; 19: 52-55
- Nuchal-type fibroma; a clinicopathologic study of 52 cases.Cancer. January 1 1999; 85: 156-163
- Collagenosis nuchae – a new entity?.Clin Exp Dermatol. 1988 Jul; 13: 263-264
- Nuchal fibroma associated with scleredema, diabetes mellitus and organic solvent exposure.Australas J Dermatol. 2000; 41: 39-41
- Nuchal-type fibroma in two related patients with Gardner's syndrome.Am J Surg Pathol. 2000; 24: 1563-1567
- Gardner-associated fibromas (GAF) in young patients.Am J Pathol. 2001; 25: 645-651
- Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans association with nuchal-type fibroma.J Cutan Pathol. 2004; 31: 62-66
- Fibromatoses of the head and neck.Clin Otolaryngol. 1995; 20: 103-108
Published online: June 06, 2006
Accepted: March 5, 2006
Received: February 3, 2006
☆This work has not been presented wholly or in part in any meeting.
© 2006 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.