We report on a 16-year-old boy with Noonan syndrome who had short stature, hypertelorism, mild hearing loss, webbed neck, pectus deformities, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, low posterior hairline, redundant skin, café au lait spot, curled hairs, foetal pads, and undescended testes. The father and a sister of the boy were also found with mild webbed neck, being possibly mildly affected individuals. The significant webbed-neck deformity of the boy was completely corrected by subcutaneous resection of the proximal half of the hypertrophic fascia bands, through small incisions hidden within the hairline. The advantage of this procedure is simple, safe and effective, with no visible scar on the surface of the neck.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A clinical study of Noonan syndrome.Arch Dis Child. 1992; 67: 178-183
- Noonan syndrome: a clinical and genetic study of 31 patients.Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 1999; 54: 147-150
- Mutations in PTPN11, encoding the protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP-2, cause Noonan syndrome.Nat Genet. 2001; 29: 465-468
- Modified Z-plasty repair of webbed neck deformity seen in Turner and Klippel–Feil syndrome.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2002; 39: 261-266
- Treatment of webbed neck in Turner's syndrome with tissue expansion.Ann Plast Surg. 1990; 24: 447-450
- Web neck deformity: anatomical considerations and options in surgical management.Br J Plast Surg. 1990; 43: 94-100
- Correction of webbed neck defects.Ann Plast Surg. 1983; 11: 299-307
- Coagulation factor deficiencies and abnormal bleeding in Noonan's syndrome.Lancet. 1992; 339: 19-21
Published online: June 02, 2006
Accepted: February 4, 2006
Received: January 21, 2006
© 2006 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.