In unilateral cleft lip, there is always a deficiency of vermilion on the medial side of the cleft, which can be augmented by techniques using excess vermilion from the lateral side of the cleft, like the use of a simple V-advancement flap. We developed a modification of Noordhoff's lateral vermilion flap that preserves the parallel relationship of the muco-vermilion line and the white roll but improves results in unilateral cleft lip patients. In a study of 30 patients undergoing surgical repair of complete unilateral cleft lip, we found that this method offers a superior alternative to the straight-line repair. This geometrically sound technique for vermilion reconstruction offers the cleft surgeon a simple and effective method for augmenting total lip height and creating a normal appearing Cupid's bow.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The anatomy of Cupid's bow in normal and cleft lip.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1993; 92: 395-403
- Anatomy of the orbicularis oris muscle in cleft lip.Br J Plast Surg. 1989; 42: 710-714
- Cleft lip: unilateral primary deformities.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 105: 1043-1055
- Unilateral cleft lip repair – state of the art.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2000; 37: 335-341
- Correction of secondary cleft lip deformities.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109: 1672-1681
- Reconstruction of vermilion in unilateral and bilateral cleft lips.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1984; 73: 52-61
- Facial muscles: The modiolus and muscles surrounding the rima oris with some remarks about the panniculus adipsosus.J Anat. 1925; 60: 1
- The diamond vermilion flap – a new technique for vermilion augmentation in cleft lip repair.Cleft Palate Craniofac J. 2000; 37: 123-124
- Reconstruction of cupid's bow: a quadrilateral flap technique.Ann Plast Surg. 1989; 22: 195-202
- Unilateral complete cleft lip repair: orthotopic positioning of skin flaps.Br J Plast Surg. 2005; 58: 147-152
Published online: June 15, 2006
Accepted: November 27, 2005
Received: July 31, 2004
© 2006 The British Association of Plastic Surgeons. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.